R4 compressor upgrade...V5? V7?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

That Guy
Read the full article

R4 compressor upgrade...V5? V7?

Post by That Guy »

I'm looking at a 1994 Chevy half ton truck with the AC out. It's got an R4 compressor, and it's leaking at the case seal on the compressor.

I've had enough of R4's, and would like to go back with something better. If at all possible, I'd like to go back with a variable displacement compressor like a V5 or V7. Has anyone tried anything like this before? Any chance the current hoses will fit the backside of one of those compressors? I've never tried to change compressor models, but it has always seemed like most of the GM compressors that connected to the hoses on the back side of the compressor sure looked similar.

The condenser on this truck is not in great shape either. I will happily entertain suggestions of a better quality condenser to use. Any reason I couldn't just pick up a condenser for a suburban and drop it in?

Re: R4 compressor upgrade...V5? V7?

Post by 71403 »

The suction/discharge on the V5 is reversed compared to the R4, will require lines to be made up.

I'm running a V5 on the same truck - it's worth the effort.
jeepsj

Post by jeepsj »

71403 wrote:The suction/discharge on the V5 is reversed compared to the R4, will require lines to be made up.

How are you controlling the compressor output?
99 Jeep XJ
87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 6.5 turbodiesel
87 Chevy CC Dually
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

71403 wrote:The suction/discharge on the V5 is reversed compared to the R4, will require lines to be made up.

Good to know. How about mounting the compressor? Any difficulties, or suggestions of a specific variant of the v5 that is readily adaptable to the r4 accessory bracket?
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

jeepsj wrote: How are you controlling the compressor output?
I can't speak for him, but my understanding of a v5 compressor is that it is self-regulating by an internal valve.

Post by 71403 »

The output is controlled by the internal valve.

Here's one that looks like it's on the original R4 bracket of a a typical SBC serp belt drive might ask the poster.

https://youtu.be/P5hkkgqcE3Y
jeepsj

Post by jeepsj »

71403 wrote:The output is controlled by the internal valve.

Here's one that looks like it's on the original R4 bracket of a a typical SBC serp belt drive might ask the poster.

https://youtu.be/P5hkkgqcE3Y
From the comments -
Yes I kept the original R4 mounting base. It required some additional bracket pieces, and bolt spacers to get it to bolt in there.

That is good to know for my diesel Jeep as it has the R4. If the A6 in the dually is dead then I'll be looking at a V5 swap.
99 Jeep XJ
87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 6.5 turbodiesel
87 Chevy CC Dually