Ac blew up on recharge.

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

bohica2xo
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Ac blew up on recharge.

Post by bohica2xo »

Only one springlock? Then it may be a dealer kit.

Nothing wrong with that really, but it can make parts shopping fun.

If you used new parts everywhere, the leak is probably the gauge set - you said it blew a seal.

Did you install 134a service fittings, or are you still using the R12 ports?
Mattman

Post by Mattman »

bohica2xo wrote:Only one springlock? Then it may be a dealer kit.

Nothing wrong with that really, but it can make parts shopping fun.

If you used new parts everywhere, the leak is probably the gauge set - you said it blew a seal.

Did you install 134a service fittings, or are you still using the R12 ports?
I used new parts everywhere except the evaporator. I checked the gauge set this afternoon and it seems to hold vacuum but if you move the connectors around it loses it. This truck was retrofitted for 134a back in the 2000s before the compressor died so it already has 134a service ports on it. I am going to take everything off of it this weekend and clean, replace all the o-rings and start over. I might even go ahead and put a new evaporator on it too. I didn't really want to take it out but according to my dealer service CD it isn't all that bad. I would like a suggestion of what kind of pressures I should aim for at 70f and 47%rh. All I am really after at this point is having the defogger work over the winter.
Mattman

Post by Mattman »

I thought I would update. I replaced the evaporator and orifice tube again and vacuumed it down. I left my truck ac alone all winter long. I hooked up a new set of gauges to it and it had held vacuum for five months. Today it is about 85 so I thought I would try again. This time at 85 degrees I am running 37psi and 210psi at 1500 rpm. The coldest air I can get out of the center vent is 56 degrees but that is better than what I had so I am going to leave it alone. It has around 24oz of r134a in it which is less than it should have but after what happened before I am afraid to put any more in it. I started and stopped it several times and the pressures never shot up above 230 so what ever my problem was I hope I have it fixed. Fingers Crossed!!!!!!!