AC Compressor size

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

MRLAW
Read the full article

AC Compressor size

Post by MRLAW »

I'm hoping someone can help me out, I have a 2nz-fe engine which is a 1300 cc and I'm in the process of changing the AC compressor. I've identified a compress which would be a direct bolt on on my engine but it's from a 1800 cc engine... My question is that seeing as how this is from a larger engine which makes it a larger compressor in terms of capacity, would its functionality be affected if I install it on my engine?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: AC Compressor size

Post by Cusser »

Doesn't rpm = rpm ????
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Cusser wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:03 pm Doesn't rpm = rpm ????
Is R12 temp the same as R134a temp? :)

As long as the system is designed to use the style of pump. And they can mount it. I don't see much of an issue.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
MRLAW

Post by MRLAW »

That's what I thought because I'm doing a conversion from the solenoid back to the clutch type compressor. So my technician is saying that adding the compressor from the larger engine would cause a compressor failure in the long run... He didn't really give me a sensible explanation as to why it would but he was referring to the system pressure. My conclusion is that he's probably not interested in the project 🤦🏿‍♂️...
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

MRLAW wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:03 pm I have a 2nz-fe engine which is a 1300 cc and I'm in the process of changing the AC compressor.
Sounds like a Toyota engine installed in a Yaris or possibly a Corolla, many of which use Denso compressors.
MRLAW wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:03 pm I've identified a compress which would be a direct bolt on on my engine but it's from a 1800 cc engine... My question is that seeing as how this is from a larger engine which makes it a larger compressor in terms of capacity, would its functionality be affected if I install it on my engine?
I, too, don't see a problem with mounting a larger displacement compressor on the smaller engine if everything lines up and it fits. Presuming that the system is charged correctly (refrigerant and oil) and everything else is in proper order, the operating pressures (and cooling) should remain the same regardless of the compressor's displacement.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.