A6 compressor shaft seal

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

teamo
Read the full article

A6 compressor shaft seal

Post by teamo »

Hi All,
I'm rebuilding a Harrison A6 Compressor from my 75 Corvette. I bought a seal kit that has the newer lip seal. I am confused about how to set the new seal. The old seal was two parts with the ceramic outer ring. The new seal doesn't appear to be the same thickness as the old two piece seal so how does the snap ring hold it into place? Do I still need to use the ceramic outer portion? Also, I didn't take note of where the front o ring sits when I took it apart. There are two grooves in the front shaft casting piece. Does the new seal fit the bottom groove and the snap ring the outer groove or is the lower groove for the o ring? If not I assume the O ring will just get set all the way down in the well?
Thanks
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Re: A6 compressor shaft seal

Post by GM Tech »

Throw the ceramic seal and metal bird cage assembly away- the new double lip seal seats on a shoulder. the o-ring goes in the deep o-ring groove just above the shoulder, and the snap ring groove is the upper groove. The snap ring holds the new lip seal tight against the shoulder seat.
teamo

Post by teamo »

Excellent. Thank you for the help.
teamo

Post by teamo »

One more problem that I just discovered. I removed a steel ring but I forgot to take a picture of where it was removed from. It is a solid ring, not a snap ring. Not sure if it was part of the original shaft seal. it looks like the ring that is part of this kit...

http://www.ackits.com/santech-compresso ... etal-24979
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

That steel ring must be a replacement for the original ceramic ring design. I was not aware aftermarket went to a steel ring- since I don't use it anyway. Must be cheaper to use steel other than ceramic. Anyway, you throw the steel ring away as well...all you need is a double lip seal like what goes in the V-5, R-4 H-6 compressors.

If you insist on using the kit with this steel ring in it, then you have to use all the parts in the kit. Otherwise throw the entire kit away and do what I do, use a V-5 kit- it works just fine and is much simpler. Trust me, I have done several A-6 shaft seal rebuilds this way.
teamo

Post by teamo »

Sounds good. I'll use that new updated kit.
Thanks