1983 Audi UR Quattro A/C clutch removal

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

aattard@msn.com
Read the full article

1983 Audi UR Quattro A/C clutch removal

Post by aattard@msn.com »

I need to replace the A/C clutch on my 1983 Audi Turbo quattro coupe. Has anyone out there tried to do so without removing the A/C compressor from the car?? Thanks in advance .

Tony
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 1983 Audi UR Quattro A/C clutch removal

Post by Cusser »

Likely will depend upon how much room/clearance there is. Stuff like radiator and shroud might need removal.

If the AC is still R-12, I definitely understand your issue. What's the issue with the AC clutch? Need a new bearing? Slipping can sometimes be due to too-large of gap; I just removed an AC clutch shim Wed. on my 1998 Nissan Frontier.
aattard@msn.com

Re: 1983 Audi UR Quattro A/C clutch removal

Post by aattard@msn.com »

Hi Cusser,
the issue is I had my local mechanic put a new A/C belt on because there was no belt on the car when I bought it. Unfortunately, he said on starting the car to test the A/C, it through the belt off. He said the bearing is shot. So I eventually found a clutch assembly kit for it and immediately ran into the problem of not having enough clearance between the clutch retaining bolt and the chassis.
So I wondered if anybody out there in the URQ Audi world had any suggestion(s). Thank you for your quick response.

Tony