Problem with short cycling

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

RalphARoni
Read the full article

Problem with short cycling

Post by RalphARoni »

Hi
I bought a 1996 Geo Tracker with a Sanden SD7B10 compressor. The AC blew cold when it was at idle or moving slowly sometimes but not when moving at 40mph and up. A assumed over or under filled and maybe too much oil from previous owners. I wanted empty it and refill from scratch to make sure I had it right. Then I did something stupid and forgot to empty before removing a Hose! That did make it very empty fast. I removed the compressor and drained it. I found a leaking schrader and replaced it. I replaced the dryer. I drew a vacuum on the system for half of an hour. It calls for 90cc of PAG (or 3 oz) which I put into the compressor and filled the 134 from a 30lb can on a scale. All worked well until I got 1lb 9oz in then the compressor started short cycling. Any idea what would cause this?
Attachments
20190728_173834.jpg
20190728_173834.jpg (210.98 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
Dougflas

Re: Problem with short cycling

Post by Dougflas »

Could be low on refrigerant.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

If the system was over filled with oil, did you flush out all of the components to get back to zero?

Sounds like it is overcharged & cycling on the HPCO. You have 25 ounces in it, and my chart says 21 ounces is a full charge?
RalphARoni

Post by RalphARoni »

I am embarrassed! There is an under-hood sticker and I checked it for 134 capacity. My eyes are old and the printing is worn and I mistook the 3.2 oz PAG capacity for 3lbs 2 oz of 134. The actual amt of 134 is worn off but now that I have taken a picture and enhanced it I see that it should have been 1lb 4oz perhaps. I found a site that stated 18oz. I removed refrigerant to 18oz and it works fine. Thanks for the answers. I'll try to get it right next time.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Thanks for having the ball$ to follow up and admit an error. Congrats on getting this working better !!!