2015 silverado variable displacement compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

grumpy old man
Read the full article

2015 silverado variable displacement compressor

Post by grumpy old man »

I just finished an L83 and 6L80E swap into my '63 Pontiac. I am trying to get the A/C working. Everything on the system is off of the truck, compressor. condenser, evaporator and hoses. Obviously I do not have the BCM to control the de-stroking of the compressor so I added a low pressure cutoff and plan to cycle the clutch to control temp. Problem is that I started to charge the system and the low pressure is 75 pounds with 12 oz of R134 in the system which in my mind means that the compressor is de-stroked. My assumption was that the compressor would de-stroke by adding power so I don't have those wires connected. Does the compressor de-stroke by reducing power? If so would I feed 12 v to the de-stroking solenoid to get the compressor to maximum stroke? If not is there another way to disable the de-stroking system.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: 2015 silverado variable displacement compressor

Post by JohnHere »

Voltage applied to the control-valve solenoid on a variable displacement compressor (VDC) is electronically varied according to the amount of cooling demand placed on the A/C system. So to answer your last two questions, yes, a VDC de-strokes and reduces displacement and capacity by reducing voltage to the solenoid. If you increase voltage to the solenoid and apply 12 to 13 volts (full battery voltage) to it, then the VDC will produce full displacement, full capacity, and the normally expected high-side and low-side pressures.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.