Compressor Cycling

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

imariver
Read the full article

Compressor Cycling

Post by imariver »

New Member here. . . .
First off, I don't know squart about AC systems except they're supposed to keep me cool. I recently recharged my system, with a DIY unit from a local parts store. I'm pretty positive that I followed the instructions properly, but now the compressor cycles on and off constantly, about every second or two and the air, (from the vents) never gets below ambient. When the compressor "kicks-in" the needle on the gauge goes up slowly to the high side of the green zone and when the clutch disengages, the pressure drops rapidly to the very low side of the green zone.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Compressor Cycling

Post by Cusser »

imariver wrote:New Member here. . . .
First off, I don't know squart about AC systems except they're supposed to keep me cool. I recently recharged my system, with a DIY unit from a local parts store. I'm pretty positive that I followed the instructions properly, but now the compressor cycles on and off constantly, about every second or two and the air, (from the vents) never gets below ambient. When the compressor "kicks-in" the needle on the gauge goes up slowly to the high side of the green zone and when the clutch disengages, the pressure drops rapidly to the very low side of the green zone.
Any thoughts on this?
I sure hope that you didn't add any stuff in that kit that contained sealer - you could ruin your AC system big time, permanently.

You say you don't know squat about AC, and you've proved it !!! Those single gauge things are pretty much worthless. One needs real gauge set, but you might be too late too save things, and most shops won't touch a system containing sealant. I think you initially had a leak, and you made everything worse.

Sorry, but you asked for my thoughts.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I agree with the previous assessment. Furthermore, I think that these kits should be banned and permanently removed from the market. Mobile A/C systems are technologically complex, very tricky to service, and not DIY friendly. Contrary to the marketing publicity, a system won't be fixed quickly and easily by using one of these kits. It takes a professional with the proper tools, training, and years of experience to diagnose and repair them.

Regardless, the question now becomes, Where do you go from here?

I think you should take a close look at the charging kit you used and determine exactly what was in the can. Hopefully, it was only pure refrigerant—that is, R-134a. If so, any needed repairs to the system will be simplified a bit. But if the can contained a mixture of refrigerant, performance enhancers, and especially sealant, you now have a situation that will be more difficult and costly to address.

As said earlier, most professional shops will refuse to work on a system containing sealant because it damages their expensive equipment, not to mention clogging-up the system you put it in.

So first of all, determine what the contents were, and then post what you find here. Also post your vehicle's make, model, and year.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Cusser wrote:
You say you don't know squat about AC, and you've proved it !!! Those single gauge things are pretty much worthless.
This is not a true statement. They make the manufacture a lot of money with no liability they even will work. :lol:
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum