Smell from vents after new compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Digital_Dad
Read the full article

Smell from vents after new compressor

Post by Digital_Dad »

2007 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L 5 spd
Just had a mechanic troubleshoot and diagnose my a/c system for my birthday, I haven't had a/c for a couple years, so my wife paid to have it done. I paid to have him diagnose it, he found it needed an a/c kit(compressor, accumulator & orifice tube) he ordered the parts and installed them a few days later. My a/c gets to 40° which is fine, but I get this smell coming from my vents when it first comes on that smells like the old orifice tube he took out(I know what it smells like because I saved it and it is sitting on my desk, it is black, smells and full of crud). So why is this smell coming through my a/c? And would it sound crazy if I said it was getting more noticeable each day?
Digital_Dad

Re: Smell from vents after new compressor

Post by Digital_Dad »

Al9 wrote:The old orifice tube might smell of compressor oil (PAG oil actually). This oil travels with the refrigerant across the entire AC system.

I have bought several auto TXVs to play with and some second hand parts for my car's AC (hoses, evaporator, TXV) and they all contained some leftover oil and smelt like the content of the PAG oil bottle i use to rebuild the parts i listed (and as chain lube). To me, the smell i'm talking about is reminiscent of a brand new rubber glove.

Any idea why that smell is coming out my a/c vents on the inside of my car?