2019 Chevy Sonic is blowing warm air and is making some type of rinsing noise.

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Shyguy96
Read the full article

2019 Chevy Sonic is blowing warm air and is making some type of rinsing noise.

Post by Shyguy96 »

Hi everyone.

So yesterday I went to pick up my sister from her job so I got in my car and turn on the AC because it was hot. As soon as I turned on the AC I heard this kind of rinsing/whistle noise. I thought maybe it was just the radio so I ignored it. About 2 minutes later the noise came back and my AC started to get warm. I checked underneath my hood and everything seemed normal so I thought maybe it was a one time thing.

Today I got in my car and this time the noise started to get louder and the air is getting warmer then before. I don't know what's going on, my car is only 1 year old so this is really shocking to me. The noise only happens when the AC button is on and doesn't happen when it's off. I recorded a Youtube video so everyone can hear what I'm talking about. If you know what's going on please help me. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWIcTPlHvmc
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 2019 Chevy Sonic is blowing warm air and is making some type of rinsing noise.

Post by Cusser »

Do you know how to visually check if the AC compressor clutch is engaging when the AC is on?
Shyguy96

Re: 2019 Chevy Sonic is blowing warm air and is making some type of rinsing noise.

Post by Shyguy96 »

Cusser wrote:Do you know how to visually check if the AC compressor clutch is engaging when the AC is on?

is it that thing with the pulley that keeps spinning?
Shyguy96

Post by Shyguy96 »

Al9 wrote:That's the classic noise of the negation of air conditioning itself - the expansion device is being presented with 100% vapor refrigerant, so no expansion is taking place within the evaporator at all, and hence no cooling (it's the liquid->vapor passage that takes the heat away from the air). I have a lot of auto expansion valves in my possession and that's the same exact noise they make whenever air is blown through them.

You're likely waaay low on air conditioning refrigerant.

Moreover, just so you know, any oil discharged by the compressor has a very hard time returning back to it in that condition. And the compressor also relies upon a cool stream of vapor/vapor+entrained liquid droplets (especially at low heat loads) to keep itself cool. What can't take place in any way when 100% vapor is being presented to the expansion device.

So basically my car is very low on refrigerant and it needs to be recharged completely?