2002 Pontiac Ram Air Trans Am ac is not cooling properly

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

JohnHere
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: 2002 Pontiac Ram Air Trans Am ac is not cooling properly

Post by JohnHere »

Jumping in with a few tidbits of information.
dannyual320 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:39 am I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but my daughter's 2014 Toyota Camry has vent temps in the mid 30s ! I've seen 37F using the same thermometer. Her car is a medium dark charcoal color and with those low vent temperatures, the cabin cools down very quickly.
A Camry of that vintage has a thermistor to control evaporator temperature. So if the system is charged to specs, isn't leaking, and is otherwise operating correctly, vent temps in the 37-degree range aren't unusual under certain operating conditions.

The specs that I have for your car indicate 24.0 ounces of R-134a and 9.0 ounces of PAG-150. The refrigerant charge agrees with what you posted, but I don't recall your mentioning how much and which viscosity of oil you put in.

From your earlier pictures, the control valve appears to be color-coded purple. I don't know whether the yellow and green coded valves would increase or decrease compressor stroke under the same ambient temperatures. As said, you'd have to try them to find out.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

As always, John, good info
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
dannyual320

Post by dannyual320 »

John, I'm understanding that the different color control valves don't really translate into cooler temperatures (more stroke), right? It would just be a trial and error type of thing.

I linked two pictures in my post on 13 December 2020 showing me draining the Delphi supplied, blue oil out of the new compressor. Their instructions stated to drain it and add certain amounts to the different components of the AC system. That is what I did. Until you posted that my Trans Am's system takes 9 oz of oil, I really didn't know what the oil quantity specification was. However, the system is charged with 24 oz of refrigerant.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

dannyual320 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 am John, I'm understanding that the different color control valves don't really translate into cooler temperatures (more stroke), right? It would just be a trial and error type of thing.
The different color control valves might or might not translate into more stroke and cooler temperatures. I don't have any means for comparing how they differ.
dannyual320 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 am It would just be a trial and error type of thing.
Unless someone else knows for sure, yes, you are correct.
dannyual320 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 am I linked two pictures in my post on 13 December 2020 showing me draining the Delphi supplied, blue oil out of the new compressor. Their instructions stated to drain it and add certain amounts to the different components of the AC system. That is what I did.
When following the Delphi instructions and distributing certain amounts of oil throughout the components, do you recall what the total ounces of that was? I'm just curious as to how their specification compares to the original total amount that I posted.
dannyual320 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 am Until you posted that my Trans Am's system takes 9 oz of oil, I really didn't know what the oil quantity specification was.
Happy to be of service :D
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
dannyual320

Post by dannyual320 »

When following the Delphi instructions and distributing certain amounts of oil throughout the components, do you recall what the total ounces of that was? I'm just curious as to how their specification compares to the original total amount that I posted.

I've been trying to remember how much of the blue oil I drained out of the new Delphi compressor. For some reason, I'm thinking 8 oz which is one ounce short.
dannyual320

Post by dannyual320 »

I went back and looked at the two pictures that I linked in my 13 December 2020 post and you can see me draining the blue oil into the clear, plastic cup. There is quite a bit of oil in the cup in the second picture and there is a stream of oil still draining into the cup.

My Trans Am's AC has been working good. Nothing like the "brain freeze" cold of my daughter's 2014 Camry but the TA's AC makes driving the car in this Houston summer heat very comfortable.
2ToeRacing

Post by 2ToeRacing »

I just read your whole post and there's a lot of information in it. I'm working on my 2001 Camaro right now so wee will see how mine turns out.
dannyual320

Post by dannyual320 »

2ToeRacing wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:28 am I just read your whole post and there's a lot of information in it. I'm working on my 2001 Camaro right now so wee will see how mine turns out.
Its been working great since I did the work in December 2020.

On another car forum, a member (I think he's an automotive HVAC guy) said that I used the wrong condenser. I purchased an AC Delco, made in Korea condenser. Way back then, I noticed that it was physically much thinner than the OEM condenser that I removed from my car. It was very light weight and I remember not being all that comfortable with it but I was happy that it wasn't made in china. Anyway, the HVAC guy said that the small, AC Delco condenser is the reason that I can't get my vent temperature below 45F. I'd love to see 40F or lower. Good luck with fixing your Camaro's AC.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

You can never have too much condenser.

Make sure your condenser fan is properly functioning.

If you have a fan clutch, and it is more than 3 yrs old, it is prolly not functioning properly, replace it.

If you are getting 45F vent temp, you are doing well.
You don;t want a vent below 40F because a vent of 40 means the core is 35, which is getting too close to freezing.

Make sure your firewall is insulated, make sure you do not have re-heating of the already cooled air (due to a faulty heater hose valve, diverter door not functioning properly, etc

Make sure your low side hose is insulated.
If any of your hoses/pipes run close to an exhaust component, then get fiberglass header wrap and insulate the hose or the exhaust component or both
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com