Volvo V50 2011 very high vibrating highside pressure

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Swedal
Read the full article

Volvo V50 2011 very high vibrating highside pressure

Post by Swedal »

This Volvo was low on refrigerant so I pulled a good vacuum and started recharging. At 370 grams of 535 grams total charge I saw the highside at 24 bar (360 psi) with ambient temp at 8C (or 45F). Way too high. Needle was vibrating abnormally at that reading. Suction pressure was normal but was creeping up due to high discharge. Not pulsating like highside though. I stopped recharging at that point. Highside port use to be really hot at those pressures but it felt cold. There was no liquid to suck back into lowside either but that might be due to not fullt charged? Where do I start? Am I looking at a restriction in condenser? Another "expert" guessed it was a clogged orifice tube.
Swedal

Re: Volvo V50 2011 very high vibrating highside pressure

Post by Swedal »

Yes its the SD7V16. So what you say is that it should do the opposite when restricted? Pump less. So why does it behave like this you think? Is checking the orifice for clogging worthwhile? My plan was to throw away the front end to get some access and feel around for where things change temps. Any idea for why it pulsates in pressure? Like 10 psi up n down quickly.