What to replace after opening the system

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

rdm757
Read the full article

What to replace after opening the system

Post by rdm757 »

I’m planning to do some work on my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel that will require opening the a/c system. The a/c itself is working great, but I will need to discharge and open the system for unrelated work. I know the receiver drier will need to be replaced when I put it all back together. Just wanted to see if I need to replace anything else like the liquid line or expansion valve. As always, appreciate the great advice I get here!
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: What to replace after opening the system

Post by JohnHere »

Quickly cap off any lines, hoses, and ports as you disconnect the parts so that air and moisture can't enter, and you shouldn't have to replace any major components but the receiver/dryer on reassembly. Replace the o-rings on the disconnected parts as well, lubricating them sparingly with Nylog Blue as you install them.

Pour out and measure any oil from the old R/D and add back an equal amount into the new one just before you install it. If no oil comes out, I would add 1/2-ounce to the new R/D anyway just to be on the safe side, plus an equal amount of oil that comes out during the refrigerant recovery process.

According to the information that I have, the specs for your vehicle are 32 ounces of R-134a and 6.25 ounces of PAG-100.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I would do same as JohnHere posted.
rdm757

Post by rdm757 »

Thank you! I appreciate the help.