A/C controls

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

ZAKsPop
Read the full article

A/C controls

Post by ZAKsPop »

Hi everyone. I'm new here and a complete novice when it comes to A/C. I know the physics behind how it works but not all of the intricacies of an A/C system. My question is about the controls. I have an aftermarket A/C system built by Classic Auto Air for my classic car. It comes with a control that fits the car perfectly if I were keeping the original dash. However, I am retro rodding this car and the control it comes with isn't up to par with my plans. I am modernizing the interior and I am wondering if I can use an A/C control from a modern car with the kit. Thanks in advanced and thanks for your expertise.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: A/C controls

Post by Cusser »

I would think that there are modern controls that could work. Some modern systems work by pressures, some might work using electronics. I believe most systems once "on" have the driver "add heat" to make the temperature comfortable.

Systems like in my '88 Mazda truck and '98 and 2004 Frontiers work using a temperature sender in the evaporator fins. When evaporator temperature gets close to freezing temperature of water, it shuts off the compressor, then turns it on again once temperature rises a few degrees.
ZAKsPop

Post by ZAKsPop »

Hmmm. I am totally lost reading all of that. I was hoping to put a late model A/C control in but I guess that isn't going to happen. Looks like a custom control from them.
B52bombardier1

Post by B52bombardier1 »

I have a system from Classic in my 70 El Camino with the controls in the dashboard. Hide the Classic temperature and operation controls somewhere else. They are not large, don't need vacuum and are stash-able someplace. Think glove box or maybe under the drivers seat.

For money, I bet that Classic would make you a wiring harness of any length that you need.

Rick
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 5.3 L LM7 Truck Engine & 4L60E Transmission
chrstopher007

Post by chrstopher007 »

You can follow the below steps
Step 1: Refrigerant in a gas form is compressed by the A/C compressor which runs off a belt, compressing the gas into a high-pressure state
Step 2: This refrigerant then enters a condenser – a heat exchanger normally placed in front of the radiator - where it changes state into a liquid
Step 3: The refrigerant then enters a dryer where most of the moisture is removed from the liquid
Step 4: The liquid is then pumped through an orifice tube which takes the refrigerant from high pressure to low pressure, changing its state into a cold gas
Step 5: The cold refrigerant in its gas state then flows through an evaporator. The evaporator then works as a cross-flow heat exchanger, cooling air that is passed through the heat exchanger fins by an A/C fan and finally blown through and into the cabin