New A/C compressor locked up after not operating for 6 months

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

edahall
Read the full article

New A/C compressor locked up after not operating for 6 months

Post by edahall »

I've got a 1989 Dodge D250 with a 5.9 Cummins diesel. Last year, I installed a new A/C compressor and replaced the dryer and condenser. All was working fine on the A/C and then I ended up letting the vehicle sit for 6 months. I then got the vehicle running again. I then attempted to run the A/C but the A/C compressor was locked up so tight that it killed the engine. What happened here?

Here are a couple of photos of the compressor

JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: New A/C compressor locked up after not operating for 6 months

Post by JohnHere »

I presume that this original R-12 truck was converted to R-134a and not kept R-12. If it was converted, how did you deal with the oil?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
edahall

Post by edahall »

JohnHere wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:11 pm I presume that this original R-12 truck was converted to R-134a and not kept R-12. If it was converted, how did you deal with the oil?
Yes it was originally R-12. I flushed it out completely and used PAG oil.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Contact your supplier for a warranty.

Hard to understand the situation. Compressor and vehicle if never run during this time. Should not just lock up. Unless you left the system open during this time.

"All was working fine on the A/C, and then I ended up letting the vehicle sit for 6 months. I then got the vehicle running again. I then attempted to run the A/C, but the A/C compressor was locked up so tight that it killed the engine".
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Maybe I missed it. I read it as it was locked up after sitting.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Tim wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:27 pm Maybe I missed it. I read it as it was locked up after sitting.
I'm not clear on that, either. OP, did the compressor seize after you ran it a while and after the six-month hiatus or was it locked up immediately on starting the engine?

I noticed in one view that the pictured compressor has a 1/4" fitting (not ACME) on the back, suggesting that yours might have come set up for R-12 and pre-charged with mineral oil. If so, did you drain the mineral oil and flush with PAG a few times before refilling the compressor with the proper amount and grade of PAG?

If that wasn't done, you had an oil incompatibility issue, which could have caused the new compressor to seize.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Original post states system worked fine and went bad after sitting 6 months. Also, rear fitting may be for a low charge switch thus 1/4 inch flare fitting.
edahall

Post by edahall »

JohnHere wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:22 am
Tim wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:27 pm Maybe I missed it. I read it as it was locked up after sitting.
I'm not clear on that, either. OP, did the compressor seize after you ran it a while and after the six-month hiatus or was it locked up immediately on starting the engine?

I noticed in one view that the pictured compressor has a 1/4" fitting (not ACME) on the back, suggesting that yours might have come set up for R-12 and pre-charged with mineral oil. If so, did you drain the mineral oil and flush with PAG a few times before refilling the compressor with the proper amount and grade of PAG?

If that wasn't done, you had an oil incompatibility issue, which could have caused the new compressor to seize.
The compressor locked up immediate upon starting the engine. Six months prior, it worked fine. The compressor came pre-charged with PAG oil.
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

Might unstick frozen sanden knockoff by jogging engaged clutch both direction with 3 oz refrigeration mineral oil in crankcase
hotrodac