95 Tahoe AC Overcharge?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Caveman
Read the full article

Re: 95 Tahoe AC Overcharge?

Post by Caveman »

Well, I finally got back on this project and recovered the freon today. As I suspected, my scale was correct and I had added 1.09 pounds to a 2# charge trying to get the low pressure to respond correctly. I opened the system and to take the orifice tube out, and found it loose and sitting at the top of the condenser tube. When I tried to use an orifice tube removal tool, the orifice tube moved down far enough that the tool could not reach it. I had to use long neck needle nose pliers to remove it. It was installed correctly (I think) with the white end visible and the long black housing with long screen down in the tubing toward the condenser. It looks like the replacement unit I got from ACKits.com
My dilemma is why was the orifice tube loose in the condenser tubing and why did it drop down in further than the tool could reach? I did not try to seat the orifice tube as I not sure I could get it back out. Any thoughts?
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Just to clarify, the OT should be installed with the larger screened end toward the condenser and the opposite end with the actual orifice inside (usually a short brass tube) toward the evaporator. If installed backwards, the o-rings won't be in the right place, which could explain the looseness of the OT you took out.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

John,
thanks for the reply. I rechecked the installation and the longer screen is toward the condenser. Also, the longer end does not have tabs to pull the OT out, and I found a Youtube video showing the installation on a 95 Tahoe, and it matches my install. What I did notice was that when the person on the video was installing the OT, it was quite tight. Mine is not very tight and if I position the OT using the the mating tubing, the OT seems on the edge of being loose. If I push on it at all, it drops and then I can't reach it with the OT removal tool. It's almost as if the condenser stop is faulty and not holding the OT in place. The condenser was replaced several years ago and I can't vouch for the quality of the product. Has anyone see this condition?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Are you sure you are using a "Cond" mounted office tube? They are different than stock.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Tim,
I recently purchased a 43-MT0098-1 OT from ACKits.com. It has a black body and white head. The one that I took out looked the same but has a white body and a black head. I did not specify "condenser mounting" but did put in my make and model when ordering. Neither unit has the "tool tabs" on the long screen side.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

mt0098.jpg
mt0098.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
The white end towards evap on the cond mount. Opposite of evap mount where the white end is pointing away from evap.

Help Support the Forum
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

That is the one I just got. I tried loading this new one and have the same issue. The front hose tubing pushed the OT in but does not seat it against the condenser tube crimp stop. The OT will move in almost an inch before it bottoms out. Should there be this much room, or should I just let the tubing locate the OT?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Is it the OEM Condenser?

Help Support the Forum
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Not sure. It was replaced 15 yrs ago ( deer antler), and I do not think it was OEM.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Are you inserting the OT into the liquid line side of the condenser, expect it to stop?

I don't have a condenser in front of me. But again, cond mount OT. Will be under pressure going back to the evap. So the stop point is going to be directed at the liquid line fitting.

Cond.
95TC.jpg
95TC.jpg (105.23 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
Liquid line
97LQ.jpg
97LQ.jpg (34.98 KiB) Viewed 3418 times

Help Support the Forum