Nissan pathfinder AC rattle

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Karamhako
Read the full article

Nissan pathfinder AC rattle

Post by Karamhako »

So I have just installed a brand new ac compressor, changed the evaporator, expansion valve and dryer. Cleaned the whole system. But the main issue is that the compressor would make rattle noise that increases with acceleration and the noise is loud. I am not sure what is causing this but I have had the car for 10 years and it has always made it. The car is a 2003 Nissan pathfinder
B52bombardier1

Re: Nissan pathfinder AC rattle

Post by B52bombardier1 »

Bad belt idler pulley? They wear out and you should be able to isolate the noise down by changing the RPM and some careful listening.

Rick
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 5.3 L LM7 Truck Engine & 4L60E Transmission
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Nissan pathfinder AC rattle

Post by JohnHere »

Adding to what Rick said, it could also be the water pump, alternator, power steering pump, or the drive belt itself. Belts can make some odd noises sometimes. Try using a mechanic's stethoscope or a length of heater hose held to one ear to isolate the noise. Does it do it only with the A/C turned on?

I'm also curious as to why you replaced all those components and whether you did the work yourself. Does the system cool okay now?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.