2017 F150 AC problem.

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

70monte
Read the full article

Re: 2017 F150 AC problem.

Post by 70monte »

Thanks for the reply Detroit. My fiancé decided to let the dealer fix the truck. From everything that I read or was told, the system would have to be discharged to replace the clutch and there were no local shops other than the dealers that had the equipment to recover and recharge this system.

The price of the clutch alone was almost as much as a new compressor so she decided to just get the entire compressor replaced just in case something with the original compressor caused the clutch to go out.

$1,100 later the truck is fixed with a 2 year/unlimited miles warranty on the compressor.

Even though this new refrigerant has been out since around 2015, none of the local independent shops around here seem to want to invest in the equipment to work on systems that have it.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

none of the local independent shops around here seem to want to invest in the equipment to work on systems that have it.

Exactly. And when the next darling refrigerant shows up in 5 years they won't want to invest the equipment either

Parker Bros should come up with a version of Scrabble involving refrigerant numbers!
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

70monte wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:39 amThe price of the clutch alone was almost as much as a new compressor so she decided to just get the entire compressor replaced just in case something with the original compressor caused the clutch to go out.
Yes, this is typically the path to take. Hopefully dealer recovered the "special" refrigerant and didn't charge for re-filling with YOUR refrigerant.

From what I've seen, $1100 for complete compressor replacement is in line.
70monte

Post by 70monte »

The price seemed to be inline with what other prices I had seen. They charged us for 6 oz of refrigerant but it was at the R134a rate.