New Sanden compressor on a semi, how much oil?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

kozmic
Read the full article

New Sanden compressor on a semi, how much oil?

Post by kozmic »

I bought a new compressor for my semi. A Sanden 4482. When I picked it up I asked if it was charged with oil, they said no. But it says 300cc on the tag. They told me to drain the oil out of the old compressor and put in the same amount? That just doesn't seem right.
How much oil does this need total? I haven't opened the compressor to see if it has oil in it yet.
Tim
Site Admin

Re: New Sanden compressor on a semi, how much oil?

Post by Tim »

I think you should follow your supplier's information.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
kozmic

Post by kozmic »

Really? That is how to do it? I'm surprised. I figured starting from scratch there would be a proper amount.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

It's the standard answer with limited information.

When our customers ask this question, I spend time finding out the overall reason for replacement. What the planned repair process was going to be! Then, provide information from that point knowing more about the repair.

There is no mention of a drier change. There is no mention of a system flush. Hard to dispute what your supplier has stated from my way of looking at repairs.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
kozmic

Post by kozmic »

2003 Freightliner FLD120
I just bought it. No cold air. I put a few can in it and it blew cold.
But it only lasted a couple of days.
I put dye in it and charged it back up, ran it for a couple of days and looked for the leaks. It had a few bad o rings on the lines. It replaced the o rings, replaced the suction line to the compressor because I couldn't get the schrader valve out of the port. Replaced the high side Schrader as well, and put in a new drier.
I tried to pull a vacuum on it but it wouldn't hold a vacuum. So I charged it with nitrogen at 150#, It sat for 24 hours at about 150# sometimes the high and low were the same pressure, sometimes one was high and the other was low, but it never leaked out. I tried again to pull a vacuum. It would pull down to 20hg but it wouldn't hold at all. I thought maybe it had trapped Freon or moisture, so I replace the Expansion valve and pulled the evaporator out. washed it on the outside, flushed the inside with solvent, and blew it clean and dry. Re-assembled and it still won't pull a vacuum. Others have told be it is probably the seal on the compressor, so I bought a new one. I plan on installing it tomorrow, and flushing the Condenser. So, short of replacing the condenser, most everything is new.