Cooling The Old Condenser

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

1GCamaro
Read the full article

Re: Cooling The Old Condenser

Post by 1GCamaro »

At about 1500RPM the HP wants to stabilize around 375. Hosing the condenser drops it to 250 fast - and when it has been watered the pressure rises more slowly than when the condenser starts out at 85 - 90 deg air temp. With it steady at 250 with water on it (and cooling nicely), would you think other factors are OK? It would be great to see the pressure when I'm driving down the road.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

one method is to tape your gauges to the windshield.

for me personally I feel as though 375 is a bit over the top
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:43 pm for me personally I feel as though 375 is a bit over the top
Agreed, is this a PF cond or the original?
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
1GCamaro

Post by 1GCamaro »

Tim wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:57 pm
tbirdtbird wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:43 pm for me personally I feel as though 375 is a bit over the top
Agreed, is this a PF cond or the original?
Original condenser. No blockages as far as I can tell. It flushes out fast and easy.
1GCamaro

Post by 1GCamaro »

Is it possible I am slightly over-charged? I'm charged per the spec -- but would you expect to see the pressure lower than 250 with water on the condenser? If 250 is OK then I'm fine on the charge, and we're back to needing a PF condenser. But with water on it, would you prefer to see something lower than 250?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

You answer your own questions. You need more efficient airflow or a more efficient condenser. My choice would be cond but might have to use a universal and make hoses.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
1GCamaro

Post by 1GCamaro »

Tim wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:34 am You answer your own questions. You need more efficient airflow or a more efficient condenser. My choice would be cond but might have to use a universal and make hoses.
With the new clutch fan and foam seals in place I'm probably getting just about as much air flow as is possible in this setup (unless I added a couple of condenser fans). That sends me to a condenser if I really want this to work well. A 14 X 25 (plus hoses) would probably do the job.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

if you change it out, get the biggest that will fit
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Early Camaros had that little square crossflow radiator as I recall. Do you have room for a 25" wide condenser core? What about height?

If you can measure the core size on the radiator that would help.
1GCamaro

Post by 1GCamaro »

bohica2xo wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:24 pm Early Camaros had that little square crossflow radiator as I recall. Do you have room for a 25" wide condenser core? What about height?

If you can measure the core size on the radiator that would help.
The old condenser is 14 X 25. The radiator core is 18 X 23. I should be able to get a close match on the condenser, but hoses wouldn't necessarily be in the right place.