2007 CR-V, troubleshooting help

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Harry Seaward
Read the full article

Re: 2007 CR-V, troubleshooting help

Post by Harry Seaward »

Ok, update. My best estimate is that I managed to get 2.5-3 oz of oil out. I put the foam tube things on the top and side of the consenser, but there was still a 3/8" gap on the top, and then on the sides, about 3/8" toward the top and increasing to about 1" toward the bottom. Without tearing the bumper and grill completely off, this is the best I could manage to improve air flow at this point.

Data:
I weighed in 18oz freon.
1500 rpm sitting in my garage
85 degrees ambient, 85% humidity
25psi/325psi, no change on either side when I misted the condenser with water.
55 degree vent temp
While driving it around, the temps got down to 40.8 or so and then jumped up real quick to 45, then took about 30 seconds to get back down to 40.8, then back up to 45. I'm guessing this was the TXV doing it's thing. It was 75 degrees driving around at 10:30pm, so it not a good 'real world' test. My daughter did comment that it was blowing noticeably colder than when she drove it to my house a couple hours earlier. I'll check with her after she has a chance to drive it during the day and see how it does.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

You have worked hard to get your system back, nice job.

The temp behavior you are seeing is due to the system cycling, I believe.

Over time you may figure out a way to eliminate that gap completely

Here is a link to mcmaster-carr, an industrial supplier, for all manner of rubber products. We use them all the time for custom projects, they have stuff you didn't even know existed.
https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber/rubber/ ... nd-strips/
You might also search Speedway motors, Summit Racing, and the like to see if they have any air dam products

I'd stay away from anything adhesive backed, the adhesive will just melt, you want something you can wedge in there
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Harry Seaward

Post by Harry Seaward »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:55 am You have worked hard to get your system back, nice job.

The temp behavior you are seeing is due to the system cycling, I believe.

Over time you may figure out a way to eliminate that gap completely

Here is a link to mcmaster-carr, an industrial supplier, for all manner of rubber products. We use them all the time for custom projects, they have stuff you didn't even know existed.
https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber/rubber/ ... nd-strips/
You might also search Speedway motors, Summit Racing, and the like to see if they have any air dam products

I'd stay away from anything adhesive backed, the adhesive will just melt, you want something you can wedge in there
Thanks again for your time helping me sort this out.
The foam thing I got had an adhesive style, and non adhesive. As I was standing there trying to decide, I had the same thought about the adhesive melting and making a mess of everything, so I went with the non-adhesive. In the end, I'm not all that convinced it's really doing much with the gaps that are still there, but it was $3, and easy enough to pull out later and go with something else. And again, it never had anything in there from the factory, so I don't feel like I didn't finish the job.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

True, but you want it cold as possible! They don't always get it right at the factory!! Trust me!
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com