AC not cold when car not moving - curiosity questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

hcanning
Read the full article

AC not cold when car not moving - curiosity questions

Post by hcanning »

Hi all,

Just curious really...

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up my new car. It had its radiator replaced by the supplying dealer prior to me picking it up, as it was identified as leaking.

Yesterday in the particularly hot UK weather (~30C / 85F) I noticed that the AC was not very effective when the car was at a standstill. Once I started moving again, the AC soon went ice cold.

I started to worry, and then I thought to myself "this seems like an airflow issue".

Once I got home I had a look under the bonnet and I quickly noticed that the radiator/condenser fan was unplugged. Presumably accidentally left unplugged following the radiator replacement.

I plugged it back in and started the engine and surprise surprise, it started blowing nice and cold in about 5 seconds.

My question is, is this likely to have caused any damage to the AC system in the 300 or so miles that I have driven it? Or will the pressure switch have sensed the high pressures and just deactivated the condenser during these conditions?

Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: AC not cold when car not moving - curiosity questions

Post by Cusser »

hcanning wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:06 amI plugged it back in and started the engine and surprise surprise, it started blowing nice and cold in about 5 seconds.

My question is, is this likely to have caused any damage to the AC system in the 300 or so miles that I have driven it? Or will the pressure switch have sensed the high pressures and just deactivated the condenser during these conditions?
My opinion is:
1. You and your car will be fine
2. Mechanic at the dealer was quite sloppy
hcanning

Re: AC not cold when car not moving - curiosity questions

Post by hcanning »

Cusser wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:02 am
hcanning wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:06 amI plugged it back in and started the engine and surprise surprise, it started blowing nice and cold in about 5 seconds.

My opinion is:
1. You and your car will be fine
2. Mechanic at the dealer was quite sloppy
Thanks. I concur with point 2!