adding oil

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

penguins25
Read the full article

adding oil

Post by penguins25 »

awhile back my mustangs fan went out and caused the radiator to crack when the radiator cracked it shot steam into the engine bay
this steam somehow caused the valve stem on the ac line to shoot out

i brought the car to a shop and they fixed it
it worked good until a few months later the compressor went out

i have to assume the shop didnt add any oil back into the system casing the compressor to go out on me

anyway i got a new compressor since then and fixed it myself adding oil and it worked great
i since then sold that car

awhile back we put the gauges on my dads bmw and we charged it this is before i had my 30lb freon tank and scale
we over charged it and the pressure shot up causing one the the gauge likes to blow( the line was short and in a bind where it connected)
when it blew it sprayed freon and i would have to assume oil out for about 10 seconds

we since then charged it but its not blowing great
now that i have my 30lb and scale i plan on starting over from scratch and measuring the freon
should we add a alittle oil to be on the safe side i was thinking 3oz of oil
Tim
Site Admin

Re: adding oil

Post by Tim »

Those are some odd scenarios. You might add a once, really no way to tell.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Agree, way beyond odd. Tim, you have great restraint.

Please remember that you can suffer extreme eye damage from refrigerant. Seems like you have too much of it spraying all over the place.
If the refrigerant sprays into your eye, it will freeze the cornea, which will cause it to cloud over, and then you are blind. I am not making this up. Please wear goggles or maybe have a pro do this
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

tbirdtbird wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:11 pm Agree, way beyond odd. Tim, you have great restraint.
Not according to the appliance repairman that just left. $85.00 to not even open the dishwasher door, and tell me it's $550.00 to fix. He did not take kindly to me, saying a new one cost that this is a rip-off. I admit he was a poor choice of words. But 90 seconds of me saying it fills, drains but no spray. They say ac is a racket.

Help Support the Forum
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

penguins25 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:59 am awhile back we put the gauges on my dads bmw and we charged it this is before i had my 30lb freon tank and scale
we over charged it and the pressure shot up causing one the the gauge likes to blow( the line was short and in a bind where it connected)
when it blew it sprayed freon and i would have to assume oil out for about 10 seconds

we since then charged it but its not blowing great
now that i have my 30lb and scale i plan on starting over from scratch and measuring the freon
should we add a alittle oil to be on the safe side i was thinking 3oz of oil
Yes, as said earlier, always wear eye protection whenever working with refrigerant.

What is the year and model of your Dad's BMW so that I can look-up the A/C specs?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
penguins25

Post by penguins25 »

its a 2002 330i
he bought these little ac analyzers that you press on the low side valve and it indicated it was good
dont know how accurate they are though

he also bought an expansion valve and said its easy to change on his car he side you can get to it from under the hood

yes i wear safety glasses
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

More miracle a/c items sold on the web.

If you rely on those items to confirm you have enough oil? Will they cover a compressor failure warranty?

Not really giving you a hard time. Just see these same posts for many years.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

"he bought these little ac analyzers that you press on the low side valve and it indicated it was good"
Yep, the pros use these all the time wink...wink

I think I saw on some random website that they had a magic wand you could buy......
penguins weren't you on here last summer also
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
penguins25

Post by penguins25 »

last year my 2008 mercury grand marquis had some trouble with the cooling fan control module. It was casing my ac to cycle and wasnt cooling properly.
i got a 30lb freon tank, scale,gagues,vacuum pump, and ball valve on the way. Im going to recharge the system in both cars(08 mercury and 02 bmw)
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Yes, now I remember, and at first you referred to the car as MGM, so we didn't know what you had!