How cool should be vehicle ac be running?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Dougflas
Read the full article

Re: How cool should be vehicle ac be running?

Post by Dougflas »

Depends. How hot was inside vehicle when first started? How long before you checked temps at vents after vehicle started? Was vehicle in the sun before vehicle started? What is the blower speed? Was vehicle moving when temps were taken? Was vehicle at normal operating temp when temps were taken? Rpm when temps were taken? Too many variables before a leak is diagnosed.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I believe him when he says AC performance was fine for a week, then cooling performance was worked; I don't think he'd post if this was a one-time occurrence after being parked in direct sun for 6 hours.

I think his evaporator was replaced because the tech diagnosed that as leaking (don't know why else it would be replaced), but wonder if that was a misdiagnosis, and that the leak was elsewhere.

Agree - MUST take it back to the shop, figure cost of the job could've been $1200-$2000. Shop can readily weigh amount of refrigerant and compare to how many ounces they added.
dannyual320

Post by dannyual320 »

Tsuper wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:22 am Evap was leaking, and the compressor was shot
I'm not an auto HVAC pro, just a DIYer. From what I know, if your compressor is shot, then you've got to replace your parallel flow condenser as well. It can't be flushed properly because of the parallel tubes.

Last summer (2020) my 2002 Pontiac Trans Am AC quit working. I eventually discovered that the orifice tube was completely plugged up which meant that at least one component was disintegrating. I had to replace everything but the evaporator, which I flushed time and time again.

On the other hand, Tsuper did say that he had vent temps in the 40's to start with so it really sounds like he's got a refrigerant leak.