Air system design for vintage car

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Air system design for vintage car

Post by tbirdtbird »

city bus?
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

More useless drivel Thunderbird, ignore it.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

If you will be driving the Porsche in the winter or in rainy conditions too cold for A/C operation, you need fresh air intake.
bill5900

Post by bill5900 »

Now I’m feeling better about the thoughts I have. Since I don’t plan on running the heater and air to mix and control temp, I’ve thought about using the heater vents (side of car near your feet) to bring recirc air flow into cabin. One less hole to cut. And if it’s not effective, I can just cut a hole in the footwell for a closer run. Heat in these cars is problematic as mentioned. The worst is the classic oil leak on hot metal smell. A distant second is the issue of CO. It’s talked about a lot but I’m still alive. Scarier I always thought was the gas heater up front. It was a clever device with a fuel line connected straight to the gas tank with a tiny combustion chamber complete with spark plug. Foreign cars, at least the older ones, were Rube Goldberg affairs at best. :mrgreen: I can buy an evaporator fan control from a manufacturer who sells improved parts for Porsches’s existing systems that do use a belt driven compressor. Does any one think this has a chance of working on another system? I’ve got to find a car nut engineering student as this will not end well if I play with wires. Being in Massachusetts near Boston I think I stand a chance. Thanks again for your thoughtful comments. Bill
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

The best thing that company could do for the air cooled 911 would be a heat pump, and ditch the OEM heater.

I have had several air cooled german cars. 914 ,111, 912, and they all smell like a hot oily engine with the heat on. Or like the chlorinated parts dip you cleaned the heads and cases in. the 914 was good for a raw gas smell I could never find too...