2003 Tahoe Rear Climate Controls Don't Work

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

ScottNC
Read the full article

2003 Tahoe Rear Climate Controls Don't Work

Post by ScottNC »

Don't see my original post so...

2003 Tahoe. Rear AC and heat work but only when using the front, overhead controls. The only response to the rear controls (on the back of the center console) is when "off" is selected - the word "OFF" appears, it doesn't turn anything off though. The fan and duct controls don't do anything either. Is this controller as prone to failure as the front dual climate control is? I have reset the climate control to baseline settings.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 2003 Tahoe Rear Climate Controls Don't Work

Post by Cusser »

ScottNC wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:20 am 2003 Tahoe. Rear AC and heat work but only when using the front, overhead controls.
Check the owner's manual; might be a safety lock-out to prevent kids in the back from monkeying with settings. Like the control that disables windows in the doors so only driver can control.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

I used to own that same year Tahoe. My rear control was flaky, sometimes would blow full hot when i want full cold.

It's also complicated, the driver can choose to let the rear seat passengers control, or lock them out, and control the rear separately or have it duplicate the settings of the front.

The rear seat control is ENABLED by the front control, if nothing is possible from the rear, your are in "My kids are jerks" mode, need to change how the front unit is controlling.
ScottNC

Post by ScottNC »

I'll look in the book. The previous owner played with the back seat controls when I was looking at the truck. He said he'd never tried since owning the truck but got in back and got the back seat radio controls to work but not the climate control.

I wonder if the kiddie lockout has to do with the auto/off/on knob? There's a lockout on the back doors for either the door locks or windows... saw it but wasn't interested enough at the time to investigate, maybe it is involved with the climate controls too?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

My daughter, 25 at the time, accidentally engaged the safety lock lever on a rear door of our 2005; had no idea such actually existed, could only open from the outside.

There was an icon that looks like a spaceman on the inside of the door jamb ! I took off the entire door panel investigating when I saw this.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
ScottNC

Post by ScottNC »

Thanks tbird!

Not had a chance to see if the rear controls work once the T's are crossed ant I's dotted because everything I touch lately breaks. Zero turn sheared a drive motor wheel spindle key and ruined the shaft, back-up mower almost spit the drive shaft out, starter (more likely the flywheel) on one vehicle suddenly on the fritz from a kick-back, returned home a week ago and while unlocking the gate noticed the pickup had a dead hole at idle. It was fine when the oil was changed 1K miles ago. Preventatively gave it new plugs a cap and a rotor in March. #1 hole and the compression ain't lookin' good.

I'm stayin' on the couch from now on. TV remote'll likely quit...
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

" #1 hole and the compression ain't lookin' good."

very likely a stuck or burned valve
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com