R134 Can Side Tap Advantage?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

philipswanson
Read the full article

R134 Can Side Tap Advantage?

Post by philipswanson »

I often charge vehicles with R134. Should I buy a side can puncturing device from Tim and ditch the can top fitting? Is there an advantage to the side tap? With these blue adapters coming out for the top fittings, it seems like a side tap would be an advantage.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: R134 Can Side Tap Advantage?

Post by tbirdtbird »

For sure. The self sealing cans are a joke
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Rarely do I use the small cans of refrigerant. But whenever I have in the past, I worried about the can-top valve detaching suddenly and the can going airborne like a rocket. Never happened to me, but I have heard stories about it.

My tool collection includes the older piercing valves, the newer valves for self-sealing cans (including one for the left-hand-thread R-1234yf cans), and the side-can tap that came with an adapter for smaller diameter cans, like dye and oil. I prefer the side-can tap and reached for that one every time.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I have a side tap, but its a discarded aerosol can sampling device from our laboratory. I have used it for my R-12 cans.

I have not yet needed to use a self-sealing R134a can, but that looks like just-another safety idea gone wrong.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Cusser wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:05 pm I have a side tap, but its a discarded aerosol can sampling device from our laboratory. I have used it for my R-12 cans.

I have not yet needed to use a self-sealing R134a can, but that looks like just-another safety idea gone wrong.
Side tap was mainly for speed. Plastic would crack. A regular brass tap or 30lbs is the way to go.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

What I have is simply a curved piece of metal threaded for a 1/4" flare shut off valve. The curved part is secured to a can with two large hose clamps.

I need to take/post a photo of this someday. I don't think this fitting is still available commercially.