RV ac storage question.

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Swenrofeson
Read the full article

RV ac storage question.

Post by Swenrofeson »

Well I'm new to this forum and I think about a lot of things and I have a question on the AC. Maybe there is an answer and maybe it will promote a lot more questions. I have an RV and I would like to know if it would be possible to put a fairly large storage tank on the pressure side of the system and a fairly large vacuum basically tank on the return side so that when the compressor ran it would store up a lot of compressed freon to be released at night when we park in an RV park. Then when the tank would be empty the AC would stop. I realized I would have to be some type of a POA valve or whatever on the return side so that all the freon wouldn't just blow across and exhaust to that tank too fast. But what do you think? it might also have to be a separate system aside from the vehicle's AC, because it might take forever to pump up and actually start working, but once it was pressurized to capacity I suppose it would run until the tank was empty and would that be able to go all night? No noise, only electricity to run a fan and I wouldn't have to be plugged in anywhere. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. Jon
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: RV ac storage question.

Post by tbirdtbird »

If it could be done I don't think the pressurized source tank would last very long, maybe 30-60 min.
I will, however, defer the answer to the engineers on here

Earplugs would be way cheaper
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

Jon, Nope.

To run a 4 kW AC unit (that's 13,600 BTU/h in the Queen's units), will require moving 212 cubic feet per hour of suction gas. This is suction gas at evaporator exit pressure, if you are doing this by letting the suction gas fill an evacuated tank, I dunno but my guess is the tank will be 10X the size of the RV.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Commercial trucking has been chasing this problem ever since California went after the emissions from idling diesel trucks with sleepers at truck stops.

Several schemes evolved from manufacturers of various sizes... Some that run from a 24v battery bank, others that us a small engine driven compressor, and so on.

Sometimes called "Parking air conditioners"

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/professio ... ng-coolers

You could probably cool the sleeping space on an RV with a unit that can cool a large sleeper. But no the whole coach. Some of those units are only 2600 watts.
Swenrofeson

Post by Swenrofeson »

Thanks for all the insights on this. The reason I was thinking about this is I had a Buick Regal that had a 4 cyl that shut off at every stop light, then would restart once I stepped on the gas. The reciever dryer looked really oversized and the ac kept cooling even though the engine was off at a light etc. I wondered how long you could store the pressure.