High and low pressures same on 2014 Crosstrek

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

jkordzi
Read the full article

High and low pressures same on 2014 Crosstrek

Post by jkordzi »

First time poster. The AC isn't blowing cold on my 2014 Subaru Crosstrek with 102,000 miles. I hooked up my manifold gauges and both the high and low pressure were the same at 105 psi, with an ambient temperature of 75F. The compressor was running and the clutch was engaged. When I shut off the engine both the high and low pressures stayed 105 psi. This model has a known issue with the clutch not engaging (apparently the windings on the clutch aren't sufficient to power it) and the TSB states that a compressor replacement is required (clutch not sold separately). It does appear that in my case the clutch engages/disengages but there is no change in either the low or high side pressure. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Retested a bit later. Ambient temperature 65F high pressure at 100 psi and low started at 100 but dropped to 89 after five minutes.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Re: High and low pressures same on 2014 Crosstrek

Post by DetroitAC »

What are you observing that makes you think the clutch is engaging?
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

With no significant changes in either the HS and LS pressures, it does sound like you're reading only static pressures and that the compressor isn't actually engaging.

Are you the original owner and, if so, have you ever had the A/C system serviced?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
jkordzi

Post by jkordzi »

DetroitAC wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:56 pm What are you observing that makes you think the clutch is engaging?
I'm seeing the clutch engage when I turn on the AC and then disengage when I turn it off.
jkordzi

Post by jkordzi »

JohnHere wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:25 pm With no significant changes in either the HS and LS pressures, it does sound like you're reading only static pressures and that the compressor isn't actually engaging.

Are you the original owner and, if so, have you ever had the A/C system serviced?
I'm not the original owner but I bought it at 14K miles. It has never had the AC serviced while I've had it, and has not had any refridgerent added.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

Sounds like maybe you are not closing the handwheel valves on your manifold after you hook up the hoses? Or maybe you are closing them and the compressor has broken discharge valves? Compressor looks to me like it's either a vane or a scroll, vane will have suction valves and discharge valves, scroll has only 1 discharge valve.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

If the compressor is engaging, your Manifold Gauge Set is securely connected (the port adapters on the red and blue hoses "open" [turned fully clockwise] and both MGS handwheels fully closed), and you're still reading the pressures you posted, then I'd say that the compressor is shot.

Does it make excessive noise while it's running?

If you're going to repair this system, I'd replace the compressor with a new (not rebuilt) unit, and also replace the condenser and receiver/dryer. You might have to flush-out the rest as well depending on how the oil looks. The parts you need are available from this site's sponsor at the best prices.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.