2003 CRV - needs throttle to keep compressor on, had a leak

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

rebuilder86
Read the full article

Re: 2003 CRV - needs throttle to keep compressor on, had a leak

Post by rebuilder86 »

yeh look I just drove over the hills terrified that the bearing would fail and I'd loose power steering and alt and all, but then It hit me, the bearing I saw was inside not outside the compressor. it was around the input shaft and held in with a circlip
it must be the culprit of all the symptoms.
so it's too late I already ordered a clutch pulley assembly but only just now realised what I saw destroyed was in fact the compressor input shaft bearing.

driving over the hills with the new small gap didn't make. difference. it's still struggling and turning off within a second. I recon it tries then the switch tells it it didn't gin pressure so it automatically disengages. rinse and repeat.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

If I understand correctly, the bearing you mention that's held in place with a circlip is indeed part of the clutch assembly, which you have already ordered. The clutch assembly should fix the problem you're having as long as the compressor itself isn't damaged.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.
rebuilder86

Post by rebuilder86 »

really? I see the clutch assembly bearing fits over a ~1 inch sleeve on the compressor. as I was driving I remember that the exploded bearing I saw had. bearing race holder ring about 20mm in diameter, less than an inch. sad face. so I think what I saw in my overexcited state was actually exactly what I felt was wrong. I can get a compressor online here for about 160 us dollars. thanks to china.

so basiclly what I think is happening here is the compressor input shaft bearing is damaged, and that must be causing a leak at the compressor. does it work like that, is there a mechanical seal somewhere around the input shaft?

the aircon guy did nothing at all with his huge pickup truck full of tools. nothing to identify what might be a reason for the lack of gas charge. took our money and laughed. he then responded to my wife's complaint and came back and had the gawl to tell us nothing is wrong.
rebuilder86

Post by rebuilder86 »

ok I'm just watching. disassembly video and I think your right. the snap ring circlip just seems big. I'll get a photo.
rebuilder86

Post by rebuilder86 »

yeh it's internal.
https://ibb.co/1YNRBdT

time for new compressor
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

rebuilder86 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:25 pm so basiclly what I think is happening here is the compressor input shaft bearing is damaged, and that must be causing a leak at the compressor. does it work like that, is there a mechanical seal somewhere around the input shaft?
Yes, a compressor shaft seal is located behind the damaged bearing in the photo that prevents refrigerant and oil from leaking. However, the seal is designed to allow a slight bit of seepage to lubricate itself and to prevent it from drying out.
rebuilder86 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:01 pm time for new compressor
Agreed. I would replace the compressor and clutch assembly with a new one rather than risk having problems with the old compressor.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.