Need Help- High Pressure on Discharge Side

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

69DropTop
Read the full article

Need Help- High Pressure on Discharge Side

Post by 69DropTop »

Hello All,

I'm looking for some help and advice on my a/c system. I am trying to get the a/c going on my '69 Mercury Cougar. It is a factory system. When I got the car I noticed someone had done some work on the a/c system. It had a newer condenser, receiver/drier, and 2 of the 3 hoses were replaced. I pulled a vacuum on it, got down to 27 inches of vacuum, I waited for an hour and it held so I charged it. I noticed the compressor making some noise so I shut it off, hooked up my high side gauge, restarted the car and noticed when taking the engine slightly off idle the high side pressure would quickly climb to 400psi.

I took the whole system apart, cleaned all of the components individually, except the compressor with a pressurized flushing agent, replaced the receiver/drier, removed the compressor, drained the oil in it and refilled the system with fresh oil. I pulled a vacuum, it held so I proceeded to charge, still got the same result with high pressures on the high side.

Before charging I left the discharge hose off and blew compressed shop air into the hose it came out of the service port I left open on the suction side.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem or what I need to check?
69DropTop

Re: Need Help- High Pressure on Discharge Side

Post by 69DropTop »

I forgot to mention, it has this goofy "quick disconnect" fitting that I was thinking could be problematic.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustan ... ustang.axd
jeepsj

Post by jeepsj »

First place to look with excessive high-side pressures is airflow over the condenser. Try again and mist it with water and see if pressures drop.
99 Jeep XJ
87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 6.5 turbodiesel
87 Chevy CC Dually
69DropTop

Post by 69DropTop »

Not a bad idea at all! I did something similar tonight though and set up a box fan in front of the car but it didn't change the results any. I don't think it's air flow related because the clutch on the fan is nice and tight and the engine pretty much always runs at thermostat temp.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

This "newer condenser" - is it an OEM replacement, or an upgrade to a serpentine or parallel flow?

I am guessing this is a 134a conversion. Does it still have a York compressor?

You can gut that QD fitting if you like, but I have never seen one cause trouble. Is your TXV original?
69DropTop

Post by 69DropTop »

I didn't install the condenser, was on the car when I got it, but it appears to be a factory-type replacement.

I have a small stash of R12 I am using. Yes, it is still the factory York compressor.

I'm thinking more and more it's not the QD fitting because the temp is the same on both sides of it. I do believe the TXV is original. Yesterday I ordered a new TXV, condenser and QD.

Could it be a problem with the compressor? If it might be how would I go about testing that?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Well if it is R12 & still has the tube & fin condenser then the charge level should be ok.

Does your compressor have 3 way service valves? If so the issue could be the high side valve is not back seated. I never open a service valve more than 1/4 turn from back seated - you only need enough flow to get the gauge working.
69DropTop

Post by 69DropTop »

I'm not sure I follow you on the charge level should be ok if it has the tube and fin condenser.

Yes, the compressor has 3-way service valves, I just replace them also. I also have only been opening it 1/4 turn to get a gauge reading, but center it to vacuum or charge, about 2 turns
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Sometimes with replacement condensers of a type different than the OEM, the charge level changes. An overcharged system will have high pressures. For instance. GM changed the condenser in some trucks, and the new part holds 6 ounces less...

Sounds like you are doing everything right. 400 psi is a big problem, but it says the compressor is doing fine.

Try the garden hose on the condenser. There is a condensing problem or a blockage someplace on the high side.
69DropTop

Post by 69DropTop »

Ahh, I got you, a different design could change system capacity. This one looks like a stocker to the best of my knowledge. I don't think it's overcharged anyway because the output air never got cold, just slightly cool like when a system is low on charge.

I thought the same thing about the compressor, if it can make 400 psi it seems to be doing ok. I think when the compressor failed on my Camaro the pressures were really low.

Ok, I will try the garden hose tonight and report back. A guy on the cougar forum told me he thought maybe the discharge hose collapsed? Does that sound possible? I had the hose off and flushed it and it flowed well, but obviously not much pressure in it like that. I took a temp gun to the condenser per his instruction and I took a reading on every tube row, the top row was 140-155 depending on how long I left the system on for. I never saw a drastic drop in temp indicating a clog; most drops were 5-12 degrees and the bigger drops were towards the top, bottom row right around ambient temp so he said the condenser sounded like it was working right and I agree.