Charging AC/All new components

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

sierraz71
Read the full article

Charging AC/All new components

Post by sierraz71 »

I'm a DIY'er with moderate abilities and tools. Have a 01 GMC Sierra 1500 I'm freshening up. While replacing the heater core that also required opening the AC system, I decided to replace all the AC components due to age and a noisy compressor. Probably overkill on my part, but figured what hell, for $400 why not freshen it up too. Has a Delphi H6 compressor. My questions are, proper amounts of oil distribution in the new components, is PAG 150 acceptable and considering my skill level as a newbie to AC work, how would you suggest I safely recharge this system. Basically, me the amateur vs the pro's. I have a good understanding of system operation, just don't want to screw it up :) Also, what are you accomplishing when you break in the compressor by turning the input shaft several revolutions before you install it ?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Charging AC/All new components

Post by Cusser »

sierraz71 wrote: Also, what are you accomplishing when you break in the compressor by turning the input shaft several revolutions before you install it ?
Rotating the compressor center distributes the oil somewhat, gets it out of the compressor (important)- which cannot compress liquids, just gases. So add the full amount to before it all gets bolted up, rotate the compressor by hand or wrench once bolted up. The refrigerant will distribute the oil throughout the system, part of its job. Don't ever use any sealer, but fine to add a little UV dye before bolting everything up.

I've used refrigeration oil that already contained UV dye, convenient.
sierraz71

Post by sierraz71 »

Thanks for the reply Cusser. One less thing to worry about getting right the first time.Had Dye suggested too. Any other things to consider when starting up a new system or problems I may encounter trying to charge it up ? Have gauges and a vacuum pump.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Maybe 2 years ago I replaced the compressor in our 2005 Yukon with 6.0 liter (did not have an A6) and that went smoothly; that's my only experience with a GM in recent years.

I added oil containing UV dye, pulled good vacuum, checked for leakdown, purged service gauge lines, let refrigerant enter throgh low side until it steadied, then started engine and AC and added remainder of refrigerant through low side.
sierraz71

Post by sierraz71 »

That's my game plan as well. Hope it goes as smoothly as your experience. Thanks for your input ;)