Aftermarket AC system for a VW.

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

wellcraft
Read the full article

Aftermarket AC system for a VW.

Post by wellcraft »

Hi guys new to the forum seeking for advice.
I have an aircooled beetle that I installed an ac system from this place a few weeks ago http://gilmore-enterprises.net/vw_beetle
Installation was pretty much straight forward, I did the vacuum and everything and the high side didn't get higher than 75 psi. He sent me a new ac compressor and still the same then he sent me a new expansion valve and a new dryer. I put everything back together vaccum the system and when I tried to put r134 it didn't want to take the freon, I mean the freon didn't past the fittings for some reason.

I stopped everything, remove gauges and put the gauges again but this time I opened the valve from the car first and then the low side and it did work, I have no idea why it made a difference.

I need to point out that the freon took way much longer than the first 2 times I had to charge the system. The first 2 it went out in probably a minute each can, the third time took way longer. The system required 24 Oz total.

Anyway, everything started working this time, went for a ride and was able to get down to 32 degrees at hwy speed, while idling it gets to 50 degrees. After that day the ac hasn't been consistent and I'm getting differnt temps and most of the time it won't go bellow 48 degrees.l even if I'm riding at around 3200 rpms. I checked pressures the other day and got 35 ls and 225 hs with an outside temp of about 88. Then later that night I went for a ride and the ac didn't go below 48 and verify the pressure again and it was at 15 psi ls and 165 psi hs and the outside temp was like 80, this was at night.

Once in a while I get almost 45 degrees but not often. I went with this system since every research I made everyone was very happy and said it was really cold and most are reporting low 30's during the summer. Im pretty sure the ac won't perform good when higher temps hit during summer time. The other day wouldn't go below 50 and I was sweating a bit and this doesn't happen with my other vehicles.
Most of the higher readings temps are during the the day when is hotter. We haven't had a really hot day yet, hottest has bees 88 so far and usually we have right now like 82 degrees and that's why I know something most be wrong.

Btw, the system has 2 huge condenser with 2 big fans running all the time.

If u guys need pics or more info please don't hesitate to ask, just getting frustrated after spending $1650 for an ac I feel it won't do its jod when most need it. I don't feel disappointed yet as I know there most be an issue as I know basically everyone is happy and is well recommend in the vw community.

Btw, the seller has been very helpful but I just don't feel like bothering him anymore, at least until I have more info on what could be the problem.

What could be my issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dougflas

Re: Aftermarket AC system for a VW.

Post by Dougflas »

evap could be freezing up. Vent temps should not be in the 30's. If you have a temp control, back it off a little.
wellcraft

Post by wellcraft »

I thought about it and check but is not freezing, I have only seen 32 degrees the first day. The rest of the time is at around 48 and 50. When I turn the ac on in the afternoon it wouldn't go below 50 degrees. Right now I got 45 but it's in the high 60's outside temp.
Jag987

Post by Jag987 »

How was the charge level of 24 ounces determined? Guaranteed that if two 12 ounce cans were used, there is less than 24 total ounces in the system. It sounds like the system has been charged three times now. Had the refrigerant been weighted as it was removed either time? I am wondering if there is a leak in the system somewhere. I have had a few slow leaks from not tighting fittings. With a low charge, the system may work better at lower temps, but as it gets warmer outside, they work less and less well.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
wellcraft

Post by wellcraft »

Jag987 wrote:How was the charge level of 24 ounces determined? Guaranteed that if two 12 ounce cans were used, there is less than 24 total ounces in the system. It sounds like the system has been charged three times now. Had the refrigerant been weighted as it was removed either time? I am wondering if there is a leak in the system somewhere. I have had a few slow leaks from not tighting fittings. With a low charge, the system may work better at lower temps, but as it gets warmer outside, they work less and less well.
The refrigerant never was weighted at I used 2 new 12oz cans and I had to take the car to a place to remove the previous r134 but they never weighted either. I did change all the o rings just in case as I needed to replace the compressor, dryer and expansion valve and didn't want to take any chances. They are tight enought.

I was just going over the whole system and everything seems to be ok. I know it had a leak at the valve but just needed to be tighten and now is fixed.

I used the car a few hour ago and it took like 10 minutes to get from 98 degrees at the vent down to 60 and it stayed there. At some point I saw it at 50 but just for a bit and then went up to 60 again.

I just checked the pressures and this is what I have right now at ambient temp of 90 degrees, low side at 32 psi and 212 at high side, this is idling
wellcraft

Post by wellcraft »

Did a search and found a chart and it says that for an ambient temp of 90 it should be between 45 to 55 low side and between 250 and 270 high side and as u can see I only have 32 ls and 212 hs.
But I feel afraid of adding more r134 to achieve the values of the chart and damage someting.
wellcraft

Post by wellcraft »

Just,so you guys know, I live in Georgia if that makes a difference when it comes to temps and humidity.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

wellcraft wrote:Did a search and found a chart and it says that for an ambient temp of 90 it should be between 45 to 55 low side and between 250 and 270 high side and as u can see I only have 32 ls and 212 hs.
But I feel afraid of adding more r134 to achieve the values of the chart and damage something.
Wellcraft - we had talked about the system a few days ago on the TheSamba.com.

Agree: if you added two 12 oz. cans of R134a, then you did not get full 24 oz. into the system. No way can I get full contents of an R-12 or R-134a can into the system, especially with bleeding any air out of the lines, etc. Here in Arizona, hotter than you, typical high side pressure (talking R134a now) is in high 200s, not in low 200s, just did R134a into 2005 Yukon last August here. So if mine, I would add half-can additional R134a. There's a sensor for high pressure that would turn off power to the compressor if it ever got that high, typically in the 400 psi range.

If I saw a high side reading on a vehicle that had working AC in the past and was now cooling poorly and high side pressure was 212 psi, I would assume leak and low refrigerant. In your case being freshly "filled", assume insufficient refrigerant.

By the way - plain old pure R134a is just under $5 per can at WalMart now !!!
wellcraft

Post by wellcraft »

I was talking to ed right now and we are doing some test, I'll post back later today or tomorrow as I need to go out. Thanks for helping guys.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

wellcraft wrote:Did a search and found a chart and it says that for an ambient temp of 90 it should be between 45 to 55 low side and between 250 and 270 high side and as u can see I only have 32 ls and 212 hs.
But I feel afraid of adding more r134 to achieve the values of the chart and damage someting.
It looks like you have been having some issues with the service couplings properly opening the schrader valves. Make sure they are reading system pressure, and not the refrigerant in the service hose.

I would be cautious of adding any refrigerant without checking the system under load. 2500 RPM or more, cabin fan on highest speed, doors open.

Check the pressures above 2500 engine RPM and post the results.