Question: cleaning inside AC compressor

Information on some common auto air conditioning topics.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

99323ti
Read the full article

Question: cleaning inside AC compressor

Post by 99323ti »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and this is kinda of an odd question, I hope someone can help.

I bought an BMW E36 1999 and the condenser was removed by the previous owner because he damaged it underneath. The lines that connect to the condenser were protected with pieces of a plastic bag. It didn't allow dirty getting in but wasn't sealed so air and humidity could pass.

As far as I looked everything seems to be in good shape. I didn't see any signs of corrosion inside the lines/compressor.

I decided to remove and clean everything because it was really dirty and here comes the stupid part. I didn't covered the passages and allowed some water/cleaning product all mixed with the dirty from outside inside the compressor and accumulator. It was just a bit but sufficient to worry because those systems are always sealed.

I then rotated the compressor pulley removing all its oil with some of the dirty water that went in. My question now is, did I damage the compressor? can I properly clean it spraying cleaning product inside and flushing it out? or maybe flushing with new compressor oil? same question on the accumulator.

I want to clean it properly and make sure everything is ok before getting a new condenser and putting everything back.

Here is some pics:

Thanks!
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Question: cleaning inside AC compressor

Post by Tim »

Water will cause surface rust on the internal surfaces. Drain oil/water mixtures. Run a good amount of flush solvent through the compressor being hopeful to remove any remaining mixture. Replace the drier. Add oil and evacuate & recharge the system.

A little praying might not help either.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
99323ti

Post by 99323ti »

Tim, thanks so much for your reply, I didn't had time to work on it until now.

My compressor is a SEIKO-SEIKI SS96D2 -exploded view below. I was thinking in opening it to check inside and clean everything properly, but I do not have new o-rings (here in Brazil will be hard to find), would be a bad idea re-using the old ones? or better not mess with it and just flush as you said?

There's another question that pop up regarding the evaporator. I placed some tape over the holes in the car firewall when removed the lines, as I never seen this system working idk if the lines/evaporator can be clogged.

I want to run compressed air through it from the firewall holes, can I run back and forth between the high/low side lines or should I go just one way? I don't wanna damage the valve or something else inside. Or is there a better method to do this without removing everything?

Heres some pictures to illustrate

Thanks!
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Anyone else receive an error page when responding to the notification link?
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I can see the diagrams and pictures for the above.