R1234yf - Pulling vacuum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Tim
Site Admin
Read the full article

R1234yf - Pulling vacuum

Post by Tim »

I had a call asking if a normal vacuum pump can be used on a vehicle equipped with r1234yf. I've not even invested any time into this refrigerant. If you could get fittings to match gauges, I honestly do see why not, but again do not know one way or the other.

Answers or opinions welcome.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Re: R1234yf - Pulling vacuum

Post by DetroitAC »

Nothing very different from R134a in terms of procedures, same vacuum pump
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

DetroitAC wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:35 pm Nothing very different from R134a in terms of procedures, same vacuum pump

Kind of figured that. But since I have not had hands-on. Not many aftermarket vendors are really even messing with it.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Tim wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:18 pm I had a call asking if a normal vacuum pump can be used on a vehicle equipped with r1234yf.
The answer is yes, just as you can evacuate an R-12 or R-134a system using the same vacuum pump.

However, you'll need an adapter to connect the yellow hose of an R-1234yf Manifold Gauge Set (MGS) to your vacuum pump because the hose has a 1/2" ACME left-hand female thread while the vacuum pump has a 1/2" ACME right-hand male thread.

The R-1234yf MGS that I have came with the adapter, so hooking it up to my existing vacuum pump was easy and straightforward.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

We have a 1234yf Robinair recovery cart at my day job lab, it's horrible. There are so many stupid things put in by the SAE comittee, that it is just unusable. I know a lot of those guys, nice guys but they have no idea how things happen in a real A/C shop. I don't either I guess, I've never worked in one, but in a test lab we have to do all the same basic things. It would take us hours to do very simple things because the machine is running through so many checks, we had to stop using it. It's going to be a nightmare when every small AC shop tries to use these things