2014 GMC Sierra not cooling well

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

robmaxfli
Read the full article

2014 GMC Sierra not cooling well

Post by robmaxfli »

Howdy,

As the title states I am not getting nice cold air out of the vents. I measured vent temps and they are almost 70 degrees. On a 93 Degree day here in Texas.
Today I decided to evacuate the system, pull a vacuum that held , and then recharge to the correct amount of 21oz. Vent temps are still @ 70 degrees (85 degrees outside). The Low side pressure is 35 and High side is 192. The AC line going to evaporator is cold to the touch and sweating.
I'm not sure where to go from here and would appreciate any suggestions. :)
Dougflas

Re: 2014 GMC Sierra not cooling well

Post by Dougflas »

Have you blocked off the heater core to see if you have a reheat problem? Are the blend doors functioning properly? Leave the refrigeration system alone until you have checked for a reheat from the heater core.
robmaxfli

Post by robmaxfli »

I'm not familiar with a heater core reheat. But I will bypass the core tonight to see if it improves the AC.
thanks
B52bombardier1

Post by B52bombardier1 »

Could also be a blend door "air valve" mixing problem in the dash - heater air mixing with cold air.

Rick
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 5.3 L LM7 Truck Engine & 4L60E Transmission
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

reheat means the air flow is going thru the heater core. Easiest thing to do is eliminate the heater core. ( Yes, by-pass it)
robmaxfli

Post by robmaxfli »

just in case this helps anyone, I was able to achieve 43 degrees out the vents after i bypassed the heater core. its 90 degrees outside here. I'm thinking about leaving it this way for the summer :)
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

You might try an internet search on the blend door on the Sierra. Common problem. With the heater by-passed for the summer, your defroster will not work.
robmaxfli

Post by robmaxfli »

Dougflas wrote:You might try an internet search on the blend door on the Sierra. Common problem. With the heater by-passed for the summer, your defroster will not work.
I've done lots of searching for blend door on the Sierra and the common problem that people have is for those with dual zone climate. For example "the pass. side is cold but the driver side is warm" or vice-versa. Mine does not have dual zone and is the same temp out of all of the vents. I just reinstalled the heater core hoses and tested again. Nice warm 72 degrees vent temp.
If i rotate the temp knob over from cold to hot it will blow semi-hot out of the vents. Using the heater alone is deep hot.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

My 2005 Yukon had hot air coming out of the vents, and turning off ignition and restarting the engine temporarily fixed it. I had a bad actuator so hot air was getting mixed in, replaced the actuator to fix correctly.

You may be able to get by, by turning the actuator manually and unplugging its harness.