RV A/C trouble

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

philipswanson
Read the full article

Re: RV A/C trouble

Post by philipswanson »

What was the ambient temperature when you took those latest readings?
jim427

Post by jim427 »

Didn't notice any sounds from the compressor but this is a diesel pusher MH so I was at one end and the compressor at the other. I have not seen any residue or dye either as I also had that in the system. I wondered if there was a pressure relief valve. Makes sense. Thanks again.
jim427

Post by jim427 »

Ambient temp was 85-90 F
philipswanson

Post by philipswanson »

Then your pressures were about right. I have a diesel pusher RV that I have been working on the a/c too. Finally got the pressures about right and cold air. Mine too was sensitive to the pressure switch turning the 3 fans on the condensor on and off. Finally got the right parameters for the switch. What I am having an issue with is how much oil is in the system. I have added some and I have lost some. ???
jim427

Post by jim427 »

I've wondered about that as well. Haven't found anything but general info. about it. Pretty much add 1 oz. per major component replaced. I.E. compressor, condenser, evaporator, dryer. But I am certainly no authority. The moderators on this forum will know.
philipswanson

Post by philipswanson »

I don't think there is a way to know how much oil is in your system other than flushing it out totally and starting over. PITA. On my pusher, I probably have errored on the plus side so I don't starve the compressor. I think all this will do is reduce the cooling somewhat but that's better than disintegrating a compressor and getting all the bits and pieces spread throughout in the system. I have a 6 pound system so the manufacturer (Trans Air) says 9 oz. of oil. (1 1/2 oz. of oil per pound of R134). But I have lost track of what's in there since it was flushed last.