Seeking help with my Lexus/Toyota A/c

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

ls430fl
Read the full article

Seeking help with my Lexus/Toyota A/c

Post by ls430fl »

Hello All, I am new to this forum. I found it while desperately searching for some help for a frustrating problem with my A/c.

For a while now my A/c in my Lexus (2011 LS46) has been having an issue. Even while on "recirculate" settings I am getting outside smells coming into the cabin of the car. Depending on where I am driving sometimes it is so bad I have to shut off the a/c. For example if on highway and drive by landfill. It is so sensitive and so bad that if someone is smoking a cigarette in the car in front of me it will eventually come in through my a/c and I can easily smell it in the cabin of the car. While on "recirculate" I should not be smelling any outside smells and I can tell you the car was not always like this. Car has been to dealer a few times now and all they tell me is they plug it in and there are no error codes and the blend door is functioning properly and that the cannot get "any servos" to act up? I have verified blend door does raise and lower as intended when stitched between "fresh air" and "recirculate" mode myself. What else would cause this? I really want them to dig deeper but I am hoping to get some tips. I really appreciate any help or advice you can give me. It's getting to the point where I am ready to trade or sell car because I am so frustrated especially when driving others in the car and various smells are coming in.
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Seeking help with my Lexus/Toyota A/c

Post by Tim »

If the door is operating correctly. My thoughts would be has the foam deteriorated? I can smell a smoker in the car in front of me when in rec/mode in my 2014 Tacoma. Blend door issues are always a pain. Lots of work just to check something simple.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
ls430fl

Post by ls430fl »

mistake
Last edited by ls430fl on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ls430fl

Post by ls430fl »

Tim wrote:If the door is operating correctly. My thoughts would be has the foam deteriorated? I can smell a smoker in the car in front of me when in rec/mode in my 2014 Tacoma. Blend door issues are always a pain. Lots of work just to check something simple.
Thank you for your reply. Where is this foam located? I have had small pieces of foam occasionally come through the air vents if I first turn on the car and the fan speed is set to high. Never thought about that...
B52bombardier1

Post by B52bombardier1 »

I've had vehicles where the evaporator fins start growing a moldy film that smells like gym socks worn way too many times. There is an aerosol chemical in a can that can be sprayed into the evaporator case to kill the mold.

Rick
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 5.3 L LM7 Truck Engine & 4L60E Transmission
ls430fl

Post by ls430fl »

B52bombardier1 wrote:I've had vehicles where the evaporator fins start growing a moldy film that smells like gym socks worn way too many times. There is an aerosol chemical in a can that can be sprayed into the evaporator case to kill the mold.

Rick
Thank you for that suggestion. The smell varies based on what I am driving by. For example today drove by at 60mph and along road guys were cutting grass and fresh cut grass smell entered the car. It was so strong I might as well have been on the mower.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I seem to remember by design - for safety issues - that some outside air always had to be let into the cabin area...
ls430fl

Post by ls430fl »

Cusser wrote:I seem to remember by design - for safety issues - that some outside air always had to be let into the cabin area...
I have also read that however this is a new thing and it is way more extreme than just a little air. I think the recirculate function is not operating at all however the blend door is working so it has to be something else. Have tested other cars and it's nothing like this.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Might consider the alldata or Mitchell subscription for this vehicle. Diagrams of how things move may lead you to an answer.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
ls430fl

Post by ls430fl »

Tim wrote:Might consider the alldata or Mitchell subscription for this vehicle. Diagrams of how things move may lead you to an answer.

Could disintegrating foam cause such an issue?