Help with refrigerant

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Brycegon
Read the full article

Help with refrigerant

Post by Brycegon »

I got a 64 Impala with an aftermarket AC system put in, the car has been non operating for 30 years. The AC system is all setup but the compressor was removed about 20 years ago and the hoses that were connected to it are still there but exposed to the moisture and oxygen for a long time. So my question is if I want to remove the AC drier will there still be refrigerant in the system? And do I need to go to a professional even though the system has been broken for so long?
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Help with refrigerant

Post by Tim »

Basic answer. All refrigerants should be reclaimed. How many do is a different question.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
pete_89t2

Post by pete_89t2 »

Brycegon wrote:I got a 64 Impala with an aftermarket AC system put in, the car has been non operating for 30 years. The AC system is all setup but the compressor was removed about 20 years ago and the hoses that were connected to it are still there but exposed to the moisture and oxygen for a long time. So my question is if I want to remove the AC drier will there still be refrigerant in the system? And do I need to go to a professional even though the system has been broken for so long?
^If the system had its compressor removed years ago and has been open to the atmosphere as it sounds like from your statement, there won't be any refrigerant left in the system to recover/remove. And I'd recommend replacing the dryer with a new one for that same reason when you restore the system.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

At the minimum, a complete disassembly and flushing should be done. How do you know a buy did not get into the system? I would suggest you also replace the hoses and POA as well as the TXV. I would also pull the evaporator and replace the foam rubber mountings so you do not have air leaks around the evaporator.