Trouble getting spring lock coupling to snap into place

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

rdm757
Read the full article

Trouble getting spring lock coupling to snap into place

Post by rdm757 »

Hi all,

I’m doing a complete a/c system replacement on my 2001 Ram 2500 diesel. Almost got the job done today, all of the other couplings snapped into place just like they’re supposed to. The last one I was doing was the liquid line to evaporator and for whatever reason, I simply cannot get it to lock into place. I’m using BVA on the seals and it seems to slide all the way in without hanging up, it just won’t lock. Brand new liquid line, brand new evap.

The only thing I can think of is to replace the spring that is on the liquid line end of the connection even though it is a new part. I do have a spare spring in the o-ring kit I bought. I thought I’d ask here first though. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Trouble getting spring lock coupling to snap into place

Post by Tim »

I've seen some aftermarket lines made ever so slightly longer. Match to other lines and compare.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
rdm757

Post by rdm757 »

What is the solution if it turns out it is in fact longer? Replace it or try to grind it down (while being sure no contamination enters the line)?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Where did you get it from?

Help Support the Forum
rdm757

Post by rdm757 »

From ACKITS. I ordered on 3/22 and the part number is 34-64245. There was a question about whether it was 34-64252 or 34-64245, but I looked at the pictures and determined it was 245 and holding the old and new next to each other, it’s definitely the right one. It totally fits fine otherwise and the connection to the condenser snapped right into place with no issue.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Just found the order, sounded familiar. Only one other place has them in stock. They also would likely have a similar line. I can check and see with my main vendor if any of the other 200plus in stock are different. Otherwise when we had our shop, quick Dremel and finished the project. Your call. Need to take Dad to the heart doc early in the morning. Can follow up after if you like. The phone still good ending in 244?

Help Support the Forum
rdm757

Post by rdm757 »

Yes, that’s the right number. I could try to dremel it. How much are we talking, just a few thousandths? I’ll compare the old and new tomorrow morning.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I would think a 1/8th of an inch at most.

Help Support the Forum
rdm757

Post by rdm757 »

I’ll try that in the morning and let you know if it works.
rdm757

Post by rdm757 »

Looked at it this morning and the new one isn’t any longer than the old one. In fact if anything maybe a bit shorter. But I think I figured out what it is. The bends in the new one are a little different and I was having a hard time getting it to line up exactly straight. I think it’s going in at a bit of an angle and it needs to be perfectly straight for it to lock. The connection is way back there on the firewall under the cowl so access isn’t great and I don’t have good leverage. I guess I just need to carefully bend it so it will go in perfectly straight. Does that seem right?