Mark IV AC evaporator history questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

ice-n-tropics
Read the full article

Re: Mark IV AC evaporator history questions

Post by ice-n-tropics »

The MARK IV store front has a MARK IV Monitor shown on the center shelf. I made the drawings on this evaporator including the zinc diecast bezel and coordinated with the tooling shop to resolve machining mistakes with compromises. The controls on the center lower chin worked well on LH drive.
My engineer friend from Ford and JEMCO, Preston Hazzard, moved down under with his 10 kids to establish a branch of MAPCO/MARK IV engine adapter company for welded AC compressor mounts. One son (ex MARK IV) stayed permanently.
My friend and an Aussie original, Norman Bilton, managed the Sanden business with Mark Padwick. He is retired near Queenstown.
Marcia Anderson, I'm looking for a sample of your Dad's pre MARK IV, evaporator from Oklahoma.
hotrodac
wetlook

Post by wetlook »

I love these units.
I have a dealer fitted one in my 71 w108 Mercedes. It used a York compressor originally but I've recently converted it to a Sanden and it's excellent.

I suspect many were designed to suit the dashboards of specific cars, not just generic units.
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

wetlook,
We installed AC on MB starting in 1974 at Port of NJ with BEHR/Stuttguart system and York 2 banger boat anchor (like OEM). During 14 years at BEHR we introduced first ever factory installed Sanden on Renault R5/Paris, then VWs, Porsche, Alpha Romeo/Turin Italy, Volvo etc.
Holden was a early Sanden application @ billabong land.
hotrodac