Making new AC lines for my LS swapped 1991 Mustang

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

dannyual320
Read the full article

Re: Making new AC lines for my LS swapped 1991 Mustang

Post by dannyual320 »

tbirdtbird wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:47 pm ........I personally would not hold much hope for that 32 yr old comp. At the very least it will not be as efficient as todays comps.
I've been on the current thread, "System not holding vacuum." I made a post in that thread about old compressor seals not holding vacuum. I remembered that you didn't have confidence in my ancient, OEM compressor. Neither do I. I'm looking into buying a new compressor or, God forbid, rebuilding mine myself :o !

If I do rebuild it, there is this thread on a Mustang forum that is very informative: (Deleted)
Last edited by JohnHere on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links not permitted.
dannyual320

Post by dannyual320 »

I've found a NOS, genuine 6P148A compressor like what came on Fox body Mustangs. I'm seriously thinking about buying it for $290.

I have two other options:

1. Rebuild my current, 32 yr old 6P148A compressor
2. Buy new front end accessory brackets for the LS3 engine to fit something like a Sanden 7176 compressor. Brackets will cost about $225-$275 and it looks like the compressor can be purchased new for about $250. Some of my current AC hose fittings would fit the new setup but I'd have to go back to the drawing board to determine what fittings to buy to connect the Sanden to my Mustang's AC system.

I don't know anything about the Sanden 7176 compressor. I know that my original, OEM 6P148A compressor was designed for R12 but after my R134a conversion (around 2007-2008) I had vent temperatures as low as 40 degrees. I was very happy with that performance.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Links are not allowed on this forum, please remove
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Purchasing the NOS compressor is probably a good bet. The compressor doesn't "care" what refrigerant is used as long as the NOS unit is thoroughly flushed of it's old oil (if any) and the proper oil reinstalled. Then, stash away your old original compressor for parts, if needed.

The Sanden option also is viable, although the conversion will cost more and won't look original if you're concerned with that aspect.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.