Various Scales on Manifold Gauges

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Wren
Read the full article

Various Scales on Manifold Gauges

Post by Wren »

On my Mastercool gauges, there are three separate scales. An outer one for PSI readings and two inner ones, one labeled R-134a and the other for R-12 along with various numbers which I assume represent degrees Fahrenheit. How are these inner scales used? I'm asking specifically about the blue scale on the low side gauge and the red one on the high side, which is indicated with R-134a.
One guy I spoke with suggested that one reads the scale that corresponds to the type of refrigerant one is using and ignores the outer PSI scale.

I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but what's the story here?

Thanks.

bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Various Scales on Manifold Gauges

Post by bohica2xo »

That is basically a P/T chart for both R12 (white scale) and R134a (Red / blue scales)

It is used as a quick reference.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I'm not an AC expert, but have vehicles with R134a and one still with R-12. I only use the psi scale.
Wren

Post by Wren »

bohica2xo wrote:That is basically a P/T chart for both R12 (white scale) and R134a (Red / blue scales)

It is used as a quick reference.
So what you're saying is that the red/blue scales used as a quick reference when the system has been equalized after a few hours rest as a quick test and not used when charging/verifying charge while the system is running, correct?
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

The temperature scales are the saturated temp of the refrigerant.
Wren

Post by Wren »

Dougflas wrote:The temperature scales are the saturated temp of the refrigerant.
What does that mean and why is it relevant and/or useful?
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Google is your friend.
Wren

Post by Wren »

Dougflas wrote:Google is your friend.
I'm sorry, but that doesn't help me to understand what's going on.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

Wren wrote:
Dougflas wrote:The temperature scales are the saturated temp of the refrigerant.
What does that mean and why is it relevant and/or useful?
It lets you know the temperature of the refrigerant in the evaporator and condenser.

It's a fundamental concept in understanding how AC works, and something you need to know if you are going to understand what you are working on.

I will explain it as briefly as I can, but you would be well served to search out and read up other sources on the subject.

Saturation temperature means boiling point. Remember, the saturation temperature changes according to pressure. This is how an AC system uses a compressor to manipulate pressures to allow evaporation in the evaporator (absorbing heat) and then condensation in the condenser (shedding heat).

It is also useful for determining temperature at your heat exchangers. A functioning condenser cannot be warmer than it's saturation temperature, and a functioning evaporator cannot be colder than it's saturation temperature.