Same issue on 2 different cars!

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Mamrak76
Read the full article

Same issue on 2 different cars!

Post by Mamrak76 »

I do a lot of ac work on the side. I have 2 vehicles that have the same exact issue. Both have perfect pressures 40 / 200. Very similar on both. I have verified correct charge amount with my robinair machine. Car 1 had a leaky condenser so I changed it. But both cars have great pressures but terrible vent temps. 65 to 70 degrees is max cooling. The condenser fan is working on both and I did a thorough vacuum on both. The weird part and the answer is in this next sentence. On both cars I can touch the high side lines after about 15 mins of run time. Usually after 15 mins the high side it too hot to hold continuously. But the lines are not getting hot on both cars. I know that the heat is not being absorbed which is why the vent temps are low. But I’ve changed the cabin air filter and still nothing.

Car 1 with the new condenser is a 2009 Chrysler Pacifica.
Car 2 is all stock to my knowledge is a 1998 Honda Accord.

Both have good pressures and working fans. But both have (cold in my opinion) cold high side linesets and the condenser is the same temp.
cool2bcool

Re: Same issue on 2 different cars!

Post by cool2bcool »

Just out of curiosity I would double check the weigh the machine is putting out. Meaning manually take the tank, weight it, reinstall it, have machine pump out 20oz, and then re weight the tank manually and see if it is in fact putting out the weight it says it is.
Mamrak76

Post by Mamrak76 »

I can gladly do that. I have charged several vehicles in between these and no problems. But I do have another scale and I can rezero it. My machine had a process to zero and verify the scale accuracy.
Mamrak76

Post by Mamrak76 »

I have checked the scale and it’s working perfectly. Not sure what else to check?
Mamrak76

Post by Mamrak76 »

So I now have a 3rd car. Hyundai Santa Fe 2004. Has pressures of 30/240. On this car the high side line is hot but the low side is not cold at all. I am at a loss to figure it out. The expansion device is working because I am getting a pressure drop. But something is wrong.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Recover it, evacuate it.

Grab your backup gauge set & charge it the old fashioned way.

Something is not telling the truth. Gauge set, bad connector, etc. Too much oil in system?

30 psi refrigerant is cold. An obstruction anywhere before of the actual expansion device is going to be cold