Replace all PAG oil after fixing 2 year old leak?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

karlb
Read the full article

Replace all PAG oil after fixing 2 year old leak?

Post by karlb »

Finally got to replacing the front evaporator on a 4th gen (2004) Chrysler minvan. The dash pull was fun (not!).
t stopped working 2 years ago (oil on evap core and a bit in housing confirmed it was leaking). so let's call it an open system for 2 years. The new evap needs 50ml/2 oz of PAG46 added. Will be replacing the dryer/accululator as well (25ml/1oz more). Still seems like a lot of PAG full of moisture in the system.
But given that PAG is hygroscopic and the system has been open this long, it is worth the effort to pull the compressor, condenser and rear evaporator (has rear a/c) to drain and refill the oil in those? I'm guessing another 6 hours R&R those. The lazy answer is no, but what's the right answer?

Thanks in advance!
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Replace all PAG oil after fixing 2 year old leak?

Post by bohica2xo »

Flushing all of the old PAG out is the best job you can do.

A 14 year old car probabbly has a far bit of miles, and you should probably clean all of the old PAG out.

Was there a line disconnected or just the pinhole in the evaporator?

Just remember that there is no limit to how much water PAG can soak up - unless it is DEC type (which was NOT used in that van when new)

https://www.autoacforum.com/messageview ... adid=17571

karlb

Post by karlb »

Thanks! I figured that was the right answer.

Was just a leak in the evaporator, but it's been empty for 2 years, so certainly time for moisture to accumulate in the oil. Thanks for the link on regular PAG vs. DEC PAG moisture absorption; didn't realize it was that hygroscopic.
I'm thinking I should look at the condenser while I'm at it. It's not very hard to take off, and given that this van is 14 years old, I can imagine it leaking right after I'm done this. And it's also around the time for the radiator to give out. Sigh, while I'm at it... :lol:

Now to find DEC PAG46 here in Canada. It shouldn't be this hard (Carquest will take a week or more to get, Grainger needs an order of 12 bottles, NAPA doesn't know what DEC is. Amazon just has 3rd parties at inflated prices.) :roll:
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Yeah, I dispose of unused SEC PAG by mixing a couple ounces in to a pint of water - and put it in a pump sprayer next to the drill press. Makes good cutting oil.
karlb

Post by karlb »

Isn’t my local Carquest great? :lol:
Yesterday the only PAG-46 was more than a week away. Today the next shop over has it and I should get it in a day or two. Supercool PAG.