C5 Covette AC questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

weslp00
Read the full article

Re: C5 Covette AC questions

Post by weslp00 »

OMG..you been to Brick Lane and you like curry? Well I suppose you do cos that is all that's there. Its gone all trendy at the north end now and they are trying to squeeze the ethnics out. There is a lot of history in that area and I worked all the area for the phone company since I was a youth. I now work at Stratford about 2 miles away in the Olympic park and have been working there since the games.
Never been able to get a good curry in the States but I have mostly only been down the east side..whats it like on the west as I think that's where you are ?? I could be your curry tour guide when you next come over..I know where all the good ones are around that area. ;)

Now Sikhs and Hindus are the good guys in my book. I visit a Sikh guy every morning on the way in to get a paper and he hates Muslims..cant work out why but he keeps going on about Pakistan. I have two on my team and they like to earn a few quid but they are trusty..

Good trick with the plastic bag too! Got the car in my garage and I have an old R22 aircon unit and I can draw the temp/ humidity down to 37% but that's running flat out as I never got a hand controller with it. Plus it hasn't rained here for 6 weeks (don't laugh as it always rains) so guess a day wont hurt. Its been 26-30 most days..scary for us :lol:

Whats the trick with the Nylog..it looks like silicone grease but I understand its inert.. can I use if on the acc. and condenser threads or put them together dry? Some goes on the o rings but none on the the dowty seals for the compresser ?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

You can safely use nylog on the threads as a lube / anti-seize. On the "O" rings as well as the straight portion of the o ring tube on either side of the "O" ring itself is good. The nylog tends to exclude moisture, and makes it easier to get things apart decades later. The face seals on the compressor are ok dry.

Brick lane was not so trendy a dozen years ago. Food was better (or at least cheaper!) then too. Here in Las Vegas there is anything you could want for food. I am walking distance from Chinatown. A nearby Persian place makes a great Chicken Vindaloo. Looking for a Kosher Steakhouse? no problem, 8 blocks away. How about Korean-Mexican fusion? http://www.komexexpress.com/ is great. Even have an Ethiopian place a few blocks away. Hawaiian food (yes that is a real thing).
weslp00

Post by weslp00 »

Well it seems like you are totally up there with the Eastern cuisine styles. Hmmm Persian..that reminds me of Dansak, nice dish in chicken or lamb...that KoMex link has got me dribbling tho. Clever fusion... I wanna go there! Mind you its BBQ tonight so the steaks are coming out. You certainly have it all in Vegas.. and when you are next over here I volunteer to be your official tour guide round London on the foodie front even Chinatown et'al.
Right Donalds on the TV so gotta go see..

Right armed with enough info to sink a battleship I will start putting it back together Sunday. Are you on here over the weekend in case it all goes horribly wrong?? :D
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Oh, I wander through here on weekends. Old age & boredom.

After you get tired of skinning your knuckles, swing by Gordon's on Villiers & have a bit of Port for me will ya?
weslp00

Post by weslp00 »

That's a Saturday night job..not far off the Strand. Excellent wine and port selection,even cheese on the website. Might check that out for my birthday..

Ever tried a bottle of Sandemans over a whole stilton cut to soak it up. It gets into the veins of the cheese over night so you end up with red cheese and its extremely intoxicating :lol: it goes down well at Christmas.
Have a good week end and hopefully I will leave you alone till next week. :D
weslp00

Post by weslp00 »

Hope you all had a good weekend.. I was in the garage :(
New condenser arrived and what a beauty! Must be home grown!
I should have tried to put the oil in with it on the bench but didn't. Anyways up it slowly swallowed up an oz thought the top port ( high side) so hopefully it will all end up in the bottom ready to be blown through the condenser tubes... did I do right? ? And how do these things work and distribute the oil within?
Just pullin a vacuum on it now... :)
weslp00

Post by weslp00 »

Well the first vacuum for 20mins dropped back to 20 inches....I remember you explaining that the dessicant and oil may hold air etc and to expect that or lower...I have put the machine back on to carry on drying :D
So how do I test the integrity of the system with a vacuum ? what sort of figures am I looking for ? :?:
weslp00

Post by weslp00 »

Anyone? :)
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

On the second pull, let the pump run for 15 minutes after the lowest reading is reached. Close both handwheels, shut the pump down & note the gauge reading. Let it stand an hour & re-check the reading. if it has dropped measurably, let it stand for several hours & see if it continues to drop.

If it has not dropped, on the first hour, connect your refrigerant to the center line, open & close the refrigerant tank valve. loosen the nut on the center line connection & bleed the mixed gas out of the line to clear it, & tighten the nut.

With the engine OFF set up for liquid charging & open the HIGH side handwheel quickly. You can usually get one can or 50% of the system capacity in with that trick before you need to do start charging vapor. CLOSE the HIGH side handwheel, and start the engine & let it idle. CCOT systems will begin short cycling, and this is OK. Do NOT jumper out any switches. Just begin adding vapor to the low side.
weslp00

Post by weslp00 »

Oh poop I think I may have a problem then. I ran the pump for over four hours. Heres what happened.
Got it down past 30 inches onto the bump stop of the gage. Then shut down as you describe with valves shut.
Vac dropped from 30 to 23 over 1.5 hours.
Did another vac pull for 20 mins to the bump stops and it was still over 30 after 25 mins....but it is dropping very slowly. Is it a leak ?or does it drop away from 30 and find a level as you suggest.
I will have to sit up all night watching the gage !