2004 Frontier AC stopped working today

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Cusser
Preferred Member
Read the full article

2004 Frontier AC stopped working today

Post by Cusser »

The 2004 Frontier AC stopped working today while driving on the freeway, first symptom was a bad squeal which disappeared when I shut off the AC button. But the belt doesn't feel loose, and no sound when AC is "off", so not sure it's the idler either. Because the AC wasn't cooling after that, the low side line wasn't cool either; compressor center was spinning when AC was on. So I think it's "major". Busy for a few days, will then throw gauges on it to read pressures, and figure out where to start...always something...4-cylinder, 5-speed, 103K miles
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 2004 Frontier AC stopped working today

Post by Cusser »

The good news: the AC idler pulley is fine, the AC clutch is fine, the Gates AC belt is fine.

The bad news is that the compressor is locked up tighter than a drum. This Frontier uses a DKV14C Compressor; and since the condenser is parallel path type, that will need to be replaced too, as any particles from the compressor seize up get trapped in there, essentially impossible to try to flush out that type of condenser. So new compressor, condenser, and drier, and backflush of lines with solvent. Big job.

At ACkits.com, I see Part #: 20-11185-AM and Part #: CO 10607C listed; believe first one is a Four Seasons, thought we were "encouraged" to stay away from Four Seasons, or am I wrong? Thanks.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Yep, we are still running the hell out of our A/C systems here in the southwest. We put a lot of hours on stuff, and it wears out. Ever think about how many trips the few ounces of oil in your system has made through the compressor in 100,000 miles?

We all bash the "4 squeezins" rebuilt stuff ( black painted wrecks) but the new parts seem to be ok.

It is all import parts anyway, and the 2004 Nissan was the end of the V belt compressor. So by now any new compressor is an import from a 3rd party supplier - and WHO you buy it from is more important than where it was made. If you buy from a reputable supplier that will be there tomorrow, they are more likely to vet suppliers more carefully & buy the best import part available.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

bohica2xo wrote: It is all import parts anyway, and the 2004 Nissan was the end of the V belt compressor. So by now any new compressor is an import from a 3rd party supplier - and WHO you buy it from is more important than where it was made. If you buy from a reputable supplier that will be there tomorrow, they are more likely to vet suppliers more carefully & buy the best import part available.
I think the dealer Calsonic units are still available, but about $850 - so 3 to 4 times cost of new Four Seasons or CO 10607C.

Apparently the front grille needs to be removed to R&R the condenser; there is NOTHING in my 2004 Frontier service manual about the condenser at all, but the service manual for my 1998 Frontier details this. Weird....
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Today (Arizona) I stopped at Walmart to pick up some pure R134a cans at $4.88 each; I noticed that most cans had a new self-sealing feature I hadn't been aware of, that apparently need a special/new type of can adapter. I found behind these cans some old cans that were of the sealed style, so I bought these.

So I guess one will need to buy a can adapter for future cans....
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Forget the silly to tap junk.

http://www.ackits.com/85530-3-in-1-side ... side%20tap

No matter what size the can is, or what is in it. Just side tap it.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Actually, the self sealing cans are not a bad idea, and the adapters are only like $3.

Anyway, got the grille and front supports out, then got the old condenser out (with drier attached). Guess what - thanks to cost savings these days, apparently neither the new condenser or new compressor come with O-rings these days (noticed that when I replaced my 1988 Mazda B2200 compressor about 5 years ago, should've remembered). Of course when I looked through my two boxes of AC tools and parts, I could not find my sandwich bag full of new O-rings, so I'm off to the store.

Anyway, the new condenser did not come with 2 top clips for the high pressure steel line, but I was able to dig those out of the old condenser without breaking them. I used a hot glue gun to stick the bottom insulation from the old condenser to the new condenser.

So to the store for refrigeration O-rings. I'll need at least 5: two for compressor fittings, two for side of condenser, plus one for the pressure switch which I need to transfer over as well, but that was expected.

I got an entire O-ring kit at Autozone, said it would fit my 2004 Frontier: MT2571, set of 30 green O-rings, like about 5 or 6 different sizes (still did not locate my stash of new refrigeration O-rings, sure it will turn up someday).

I was able to remove the old compressor through the top of the engine compartment, so I didn't have to remove the compressor brackets from the engine block itself.

I drained only about 2 oz. oil from my old compressor, maybe that's why it locked up (my Mazda B2200 compressor that seized a few years ago had only a few drops).

The new UAC CO10607C compressor from Rock Auto stated that it contained PAG 45 oil, so I drained that out. I added 2 oz. PAG-100 contain UV dye to the condenser and 4 oz. to the new compressor, added the rubber plugs and bolted those in. I used the new green O-rings for the high pressure connections to the condenser, one for the pressure switch that I swapped to the new condenser, and 2 different size ones for the compressor connections.

New condenser installed.

New compressor installed; I flushed out the high pressure line with solvent and blew out the solvent.

I pulled good vacuum for 90 minutes, and vacuum held after disconnecting the pump, good.

Adding refrigerant, just over 25 oz.

Pressures at idle 30 psi low, 250 psi high (forgot to measure at 1800 rpm).

This took most of the day. Just have to add the front plastic trim tomorrow. AC works, and is quiet too - good !!! The Gates AC belt was OK, so re-used that (so I didn't need to remove alternator/fan belt and power steering belts).
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Today I cut open the old drier cartridge with a hacksaw. It looked pretty clean, even its little plastic screen/filter. The new condenser came with the new drier already attached. Still wish that the new condenser and new compressor would've had new green O-rings included, and 2 new line clips for the top of the condenser. Stoooopid cost savings programs.....but those clamps are at least $7 each from the dealer, and apparently dealer only !!!
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Rock $206.00
Ackits: $228.00

Cusser you know I would have matched that.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Tim wrote:Rock $206.00
Ackits: $228.00

Cusser you know I would have matched that.
I didn't know that ACkits might match, would've dealt with you had this unit been stocked in Scottsdale. I've purchased three compressors in the past from you. I actually got a 5% discount from above from Rock, but paid like $10 shipping, arrived in 2 days and I didn't need to pay sales tax. Also ACkits did not list a condenser for this truck, didn't know if you did special orders like that.