Freon leaked out. What could I have done otherwise installing used compressor on 2004 Saturn Ion?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

JohnHere
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Freon leaked out. What could I have done otherwise installing used compressor on 2004 Saturn Ion?

Post by JohnHere »

atikovi wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:01 pm The alternator was seized and the a/c clutch was rusted together. It turns fine. The first junkyard one worked great mechanically but leaked. They sent me a second one but that's locked up so I didn't even try to install it. They refunded me and I'm back to square one. I have taken the original one apart for a learning experience. Looks nice and clean inside and the parts turn smoothly. How can I find out which version of Delphi CVC I have? There are 125, 135, 165, 185 which refer to the displacement. Would like to replace the seals on the first junkyard one to see how it goes.
I'm not fully knowledgeable about the various Delphi model numbers. But since you have the original compressor apart and can see the cylinders and tops of the pistons, you can figure out the displacement yourself using the following formula:

Displacement = π(Radius)squared x Stroke x Number of Cylinders,

With π being 3.1416, R being one-half the diameter (bore) of a cylinder, and Stroke being the maximum depth of a cylinder above a piston.

So if, for example, we are figuring out the displacement of a V8 engine with a bore of 4" and a stroke of 3", we would get:
  • 3.1416 x 2" squared = 12.6;
  • 12.6 x the Stroke of 3" = 37.8;
  • 37.8 x 8 (number of cylinders) = 302.4, or 302 Cubic Inches.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.