AC not very cold at idle, great while driving

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Jonas
Read the full article

Re: AC not very cold at idle, great while driving

Post by Jonas »

So, I put a new belt on. It needed to be replaced. The old one looked fine, but the ribs were quite deep and it was stiff. It may have helped a little. Today was 93 and sunny. My temps with fan on medium high ranged from 47 degrees (driving) to 51 (parked) and 52-53 stuck in traffic. My AC cools much better when it's cloudy and/or below 90, but I suppose that's because the cabin is cooler anyway and recirculate doesn't have to do as much. I still feel like it should be colder. I didn't sweat much today, but I don't think it's too much to ask not to sweat at all in my car when it's 100 outside like it will be soon. Any more ideas?
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

"I should add that later today on the interstate, it was 85 and sunny with a steady center vent temperature of 38 degrees"
What happened to this?
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

tbirdtbird wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:32 pm "I should add that later today on the interstate, it was 85 and sunny with a steady center vent temperature of 38 degrees"
What happened to this?
Nothing, I don't think. It was hotter today and I didn't drive on the interstate-just in town stop and go. I think it only got down to about 45 the other day before I had been on the interstate for a while.

It seems to be RPM and/or condenser airflow related.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

This may or may not be related, but I still have the suspicion my mechanic put too much PAG oil in the system. Before we knew the compressor was shot, he suggested it just needed oil. He then charged it with some oil to see if it would work. It obviously didn't. (He didn't charge me either ;-) Later I brought him the new compressor and told him it came pre-filled with 3oz of PAG oil and he kinda shrugged that off and said "I'll just have to look at it." The oil capacity is not listed on the hood sticker, I can't find it anywhere, so I seriously doubt he just knew how much to put in. To top it all off, he said it wasn't very cold but he didn't know why! He then suggested I change the cabin filter (good idea, won't make it colder) OR that I brought him ChEaP ReFrIgErAnt and should have used PoLaR IcE.

I don't know if this would account for my wide range of cooling ability. It was still 92 degrees at dusk today but the the vents were putting out 42 degree air while cruising at ~45 mph and they still rose above 50 at idle. Do my symptoms align with a too much oil scenario? Would too much oil and/or refrigerant cause a similar overcharge situation? Someone from another forum (who does AC work) said my pressures were to high at 1800 RPM (~80 degrees outside) and he would shoot for 15/150 psi in that condition.
Last edited by Jonas on Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

The specs that I have for your vehicle say 8.5 ounces of PAG-46.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

JohnHere wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:56 pm The specs that I have for your vehicle say 8.5 ounces of PAG-46.
That's what I thought. I don't remember where I saw it, but I remembered 8oz. I don't know how much he put in or how much was already in there. What are the other specs for my AC? I either can't find them or they are inconsistent from source to source.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

" he would shoot for 15/150 psi in that condition."
Those pressures are too low in my opinion.
I am sure glad he is not doing any AC work on my car
That Four Squeasins "tech" from that other thread sure gets around...
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

tbirdtbird wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:07 pm " he would shoot for 15/150 psi in that condition."
Those pressures are too low in my opinion.
I am sure glad he is not doing any AC work on my car
That Four Squeasins "tech" from that other thread sure gets around...
He mentioned those pressures for a variable displacement compressor. I thought the pressures I listed looked pretty normal.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

OK, could be. Variable displacement is above my pay grade
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Jonas wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:01 pm
JohnHere wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:56 pm The specs that I have for your vehicle say 8.5 ounces of PAG-46.
That's what I thought. I don't remember where I saw it, but I remembered 8oz. I don't know how much he put in or how much was already in there. What are the other specs for my AC? I either can't find them or they are inconsistent from source to source.
The full information that I have for your vehicle specifies 23 ounces net weight of R-134a and 8.5 fluid ounces of PAG-46.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.