Unfamiliar AC Line in Jeep

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tehfrr
Read the full article

Unfamiliar AC Line in Jeep

Post by tehfrr »

Can anyone tell me whats going on with this line? Its named A/C Suction and Liquid Line 68282106AE.

It looks like this part is two lines that merge together and then later split, or two separate lines that are bundled together in the middle.

I want to reroute it, but almost no shop will even touch it, and the one that would wanted $1,000+. I'm thinking if I want to make this happen Ill need to have the dealer drain/fill the R-1234YF and do it myself.

Any thoughts on this? If it is two completely separate lines, maybe using two stainless steel braided PTFE hoses and a high side port fitting?
s-l1600b.jpg
s-l1600b.jpg (252.16 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
tehfrr

Re: Unfamiliar AC Line in Jeep

Post by tehfrr »

Heres another pic of it in the Jeep
Picture1 copy2.jpg
Picture1 copy2.jpg (241.32 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

I would suggest to leave it alone
There may be an OT in there
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

According to the description of this part number, it looks to be a complicated assembly of the suction and liquid lines bundled together with some sort of wiring (liquid line cooler).

As installed in the vehicle, the assembly appears to be routed out of the way alongside the left inner fender. So I can't help but wonder why you're considering fabricating very expensive custom hoses to reroute the original lines--if that is even possible given the several tight bends of the pictured OEM metal lines.

And yes, you can have this R-1234yf system evacuated and recharged by a dealer. But that will be costly as well. In fact, the refrigerant alone is expensive in today's market.

Is this an engine-swap project--is that why you're considering making up the custom lines?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

It's an internal heat exchanger assembly, this is pretty standard for all light cars and trucks these days. It yields a slight performance gain.

Why do you want to eliminate it? It's in the way of some aftermarket mods?

Yes, you can eliminate it and just run a direct suction hose and a direct liquid line to the TXV. Probably goes without saying, but I'll say anyway, you will have to make ports in the new lines for sensors, service ports, etc. or possibly keep those sections of your donor OEM lines.
Last edited by DetroitAC on Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

We used to call that a recuperator. It recovers a little suction line energy to further cool the liquid line.

In the case of automotive manufacturers it also recovers a huge chunk of your cash when one of the many brazed joints fails...
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Interesting that this old idea is being brought back. I was always taught that heat exchangers were of minimal benefit.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
tehfrr

Post by tehfrr »

Thank you everyone for the responses, appreciated.

I did not consider the possibility of a heat exchanger but given that what Im looking at it makes a lot more sense now.

I also did not realize there are wires/sensors incorporated into this. I can assemble hoses, metal lines, fittings but hard pass on altering finicky electronics. Apparently Ive finally been talked out of this project :lol:

I wanted to re-route the lines to the path of the green dashed line in the pics to open up the space where the red box is. I want to put a filter train for an engine driven air compressor there, and the AC line is in the way by about 0.5 inch. I have yet to find a better spot for the filters (and I dont want them inside).

The custom lines (aside from the high side port) would have been made with leftover parts so there would have been little additional cost aside from the drain/fill. Parts are from a complex pneumatic system I put together, plumbed with -8AN (1/2 JIC) braided PTFE hose.
New path & open space
New path & open space
JeepAC.jpg (234.78 KiB) Viewed 3002 times